Best 5spd Manual Trans?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

Best 5spd Manual Trans?

Post by Redlined »

Giving up on my 4EAT. Sunk $2600 into it last summer and its already gone to hell.

I cant afford to pony up for a STI 6 speed.

So whats the next BEST trans? Need something thats gonna hold against some serious horse. Lets say 350BHP.
What do I look for? WRX? Outback? 2nd gen Legacy? Need some help fro, someone that has a clue on these.
Dave
quasi-mod-o

Re: Best 5spd Manual Trans?

Post by SILINC3R »

staying tuned
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

As far as i have read/heard... the wrx 5mt isnt as great as people would like to believe. maybe a little bit stronger than turbo legacy, who knows.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

From what I understand, the problem is the ancient case design developed when they made cars that put out under 100 hp, which restricts the size of the gears that can be put in it, leaving the maximum size still marginal. That's why I'm just going to go rwd. It seems the only tough or bulletproof AWD options are STI 6-speeds or custom built 5-speeds.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

isnt the old school out back trans supousdly stronger then the wrx trans? maybe the shorter gearing reduces the load on the gears.
93 legacy l
to much to list....
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i personally haven't heard that, but i also haven't really sourced info on a stron transmission. I just assume sti is the way to go, or if you really want to go all out and spend alittle more you can go with straight cut gears.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Steve hit the nail on the head. Gear size and tooth profile is what limits the 5mt. There is not a real way around that.

PPG's in a 5mt, or a 6mt takes care of most situations. Or a built 4eat...
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
92turbooooo
In Neutral

Post by 92turbooooo »

Dont forget the 05+ legacy Gt 5 speeds. Ive read/heard there the best 5 speed.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Although i bought this car with a newly rebuilt 4eat, which runs fine, having an automatic is killing me emotionaly and quiet frankly is kind of embarrassing.

If one were to go this route with the legacy GT trans, would it be an easier swap then the WRX? Or would have similar issues? I dont have any plans on running 350hp through this car but im on the market for something.
Last edited by TurnNburn on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
TBFK
First Gear

Post by TBFK »

cj91legss wrote:i personally haven't heard that, but i also haven't really sourced info on a stron transmission. I just assume sti is the way to go, or if you really want to go all out and spend alittle more you can go with straight cut gears.
The Straight Cut gears are the strongest ones you can get, however the only downside to them, is they are really loud!! I'm sure you've all heard the transmission whine while your backing up...well that's because your reverse gear is a Straight Cut gear.

So imagine that sound, all the time. It'll gget annoying really quick. They put those in the transmissions to begin with, and decided not to use the Straight Cut because of how loud they are. The way they fixed that was by upgrading from Straight Cut, to Helical Gears, which eliminates the noise.

Just a little bit of history/information for you guys:)
Jesse James

Nintendo Technical Support Representative

Link To Nintendo Technical Support Thread
Ramsey Clark wrote:Who will protect the public when the police violate the law?
1997 Legacy LSi A/T
1994 Impreza Wagon 5M/T
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Iv never actually been in a car that has had gears like this. But judging by this video i can only imagine how long i could stand it in a daily driven car.

straight cut gears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's extremely annoying and makes the car sound like it's about to blow up to the lay person to top it off. Phil (BAC5.2) used to make the things and had a fairly high tolerance of a lack of comfort, but even he gave up on driving one on the street. I priced a helical cut syncro unit and it was over $4k with his discount—way too much to spend on this car.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

There is nothing wrong with a 4eat if you do it right and make enough power. They are quite fun when you get there.

Otherwise, all stock 5mt's are subject to the same driver failure. Plenty of people rock them for a long time with 300+ whp. If you can't do that, take a look at your driving style.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

he just blew my tweeters
RogerHerhard 1 month ago 7
Haha. :P
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

you can get certain gears straight cut. l looked in to it once and it seemed like the best option was 1st 2nd and 3rd straight and the 4th and 5th normal. it would have been $3200 for me to remove and send my trany to the place and get it done and shipped back. lifetime warranty on the straight cut gears. but i cant afford it right now. how ever my car is rwd and i destroyed 2nd gear in my trany a couple months ago so if you have any power going to rwd wont do much in saving your trany. also i have read up on wrx tranys and there is a small difference in the strength.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

If you want to go rwd, it makes sense to go with the Toyota option.
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I'm in the same boat. My car started out as a na so the 5 spd in it is just a ticking bomb waiting to explode under the new found torque and power. I can't afford an sti 6 spd or straight cuts so i was going to go with a newer forester tranny or 00-01 rs impreza. I want to stick with my 4.11 final drive and the impreza rs in those years also had rear lsd.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon