Can I convert an old non turbo to a turbo?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93mightyS
In Neutral

Can I convert an old non turbo to a turbo?

Post by 93mightyS »

This may be a dumb question, but can I convert my old 1993 Legacy L into a turbo? I saw there are 1993 turbo's made by subaru. I've read some of the other posts on turbos and they are mostly about installing a bigger turbo. I'm not looking for a huge boost, just better than what I have now.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

You'd be better off doing an engine swap. it'll prolly end up being cheaper unless you want to put a LOT of time and elbow grease into scavenging from pick-apart yards. a used EJ22t (legacy turbo motor) or EJ20t (WRX motor) shouldn't run you much more than $1000, maybe another 200 in peripheral parts (crossmember, etc).

A proper turbo kit usually runs for $5000, and you can throw one together for $3000. Stock internals aren't really meant for boost, and you might run into problems with the head gasket and whatnot. I mean, it can be done and it has been done, but I think a motor swap would be the easiest and cheapest way. just drop it in and hook it up :D.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

However, the 2.2L motors have a 9.7 to 1 CR. This setup might be a little better for him (better off-boost response) since he's not planning on running bigger boost. There's a guy on the nasioc forums who turboed AND nitroused his 2.2L outback sport. I believe his name is Kevin Thomas. He didn't have any problems with the car and he used to street race the thing EVERY weekend.

He's still driving the car (has since taken off the turbo kit and sold it), and to my knowledge, it's still running strong.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

swapping an entire engine and such is definitely more of a pain IMO then just adding a turbo.......

Unless he's doin all of the work himself......it'd probably be more to get everything fabbed up with the legacy turbo motor.

Buddy of mine was running a stage 1 forced air kit with stage 3 turbo......he had his up to about 11-13 psi....granted he was running alchol injection........but you can do 5-6 psi comfortably with the EJ22 n/a motor. If you get something to control the timing advance on boost, you can go with more boost.

Same buddy blew one of the pistons.....well the rings......he was testing to see what the motor could take. He's building a 400 hp EJ22T motor now.....so it's a mute point.

But he said.....timing advance was what killed it. milehiAl can confirm this. His new torque chip is supposed to have the ability to limit the ECU's timing advance.

So a combo of aftermarket turbo and torque 2 chip would be a good setup.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to give some more details. The engine has 85,000 miles on it. I see subarus can go much further so I don't want to remove the engine. I read the old turbo gave 8.7 psi to boost the hp to 160 from 130. That is all I'm looking for. I don't want a huge boost like 13-16 psi and risk damaging the engine. Is the 2.2L non turbo about the same as the 2.2L turbo except it is missing the turbo and the exhaust system? Could I find the original turbo and have it installed? How much might that cost? I saw someone here selling a used factory turbo for $50.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

boostjunkie wrote:However, the 2.2L motors have a 9.7 to 1 CR. This setup might be a little better for him (better off-boost response) since he's not planning on running bigger boost. There's a guy on the nasioc forums who turboed AND nitroused his 2.2L outback sport. I believe his name is Kevin Thomas. He didn't have any problems with the car and he used to street race the thing EVERY weekend.

He's still driving the car (has since taken off the turbo kit and sold it), and to my knowledge, it's still running strong.
I'm very familiar with this guy. He's one of the few proud 4EAT guys. And that's one of the reasons he's had as few problems as he's had. the 4EAT will take much more power than the 5MT before it grenades. that's the other thing I forgot to mention. non-WRX/legacy turbo stickshifts are a little weak. It's managable, but you should definitely start learning to baby your tranny.

but if you are running low boost like 4-6 PSi, I agree that you could manage it. You'll prolly get around 170 or so hp, assuming you're starting at 135-140 (the various NA 2.2s have been around that range) . The EJ22 and EJ22t are much different monsters. However, as long as you're running low boost and you have an intercooler those differences shouldn't matter. Most notably, the EJ22t has 8:1 pistons, closed deck block, and oil squirters for the pistons. there are a few other differences, but those are the big ones.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

If you're interested in a swap, you might talk to this guy. People are trying to convince him to sell the motor for ~$600:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=307379
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

if you want to turbo your engine. I have most of the stock parts to make a turbo kit for you. pm me if you are interseted
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

You just have to keep competing with me, don't you :P

kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

sorrie about that. I just have way too many parts taking up space that I am trying to sell.
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

As long as you are only running 5-10 ls boost your stock transmision will work ok the only difference in the turbo 5 speed and non turbo is the heat treatment of the mainshaft. I run 15-20 lbs with a turbo Legacy engine and a '99 Legacy transmission. Problems start at about 225+ hp. You will have to replace the front crossmember to do this swap.
93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

I may be asking the impossible. I have the automatic 4 on it too. I would have to find someone who knows how to install it too. I don't have the tools for it.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Automatics have been shown to hold more power than the 5sp. Maybe it's driver related (alot of people like to powershift their cars :roll: ) but I've heard that the torque converter plays a role in absorbing some of the shock of torque that the 5sp transmits to the gears.

Kelly, no problem man. Have you seen how many parts I've been selling off lately? There are so many parts in the basement . . . some of them for a car I don't even own anymore :lol:

93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

I juat took a look at KBB to see how much more the 93 turbo is worth compared to my 93 L. They have it listed at $3,800 compared to $3,000 for my car. Looks like it would be cheaper to sell my car and buy one with the turbo. The problem is that I would miss my car. I drove it when it was new and my dad owned it. My dad had a 1990 Camry and thought the Subaru Legacy was so much better. It is the only car I've ever owned.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Time to move on . . .

New memories in a newer car . . . Trust me, they'll be good memories :twisted:

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

93mightyS wrote:The problem is that I would miss my car. I drove it when it was new and my dad owned it.

It is the only car I've ever owned.
Wow, that's a long time... I completely agree with you. I've only had my car for about 2 1/2 years, and I really, honestly think I will cry when I part with it, even though it will be for a new WRX :wink: ...

The longer something stays the same with me, the longer I want it to stay that way... No I'm not sentimental whatsoever :oops:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

Well, I will move on but to a much newer car when I replace this one. I saw the new 2004 Subaru Legacy WRX. That things is impressive. I guess I'll let my current car go until I can buy a new one.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Legacy WRX?!? Cool wonder what that's gonna look like :lol: ...

Just kiddin, what do you mean the Legacy B4 or the Impreza WRX?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

I was looking at a car mag at a friend's house and saw an article on a new Legacy for 2004. They were going to add the big turbo to the 2.5L 4 cyl. It was expected to have 280-300 hp stock. I thought they were going to call it the WRX model too. Now I see on Motorweek they are calling it B4.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I'm with the buy a turbo Legacy, the amount of time and pain it will save you.... and when 160hp isn't enough (it never is enough) you have something that will take a lot more.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt