crank but no start

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bobdole195
In Neutral

crank but no start

Post by bobdole195 »

iv been working on a Subaru that my friend started and couldn't get running so he called me he replaced a burnt valve in the head and re installed it got it back together and no start. i got there found that the timing belt was all wrong re installed using the correct timing marks not the arrows. and no start still. compression checked to make sure there was no additional valve damage do to being out of time. compression was between 145-150psi checked ignition timing it is firing about 180 out and there are no dtc. any input im out of ideas
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: crank but no start

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Have you checked to make sure there is fuel & spark? I'm assuming when you said you used the correct timing marks, you were referring to the mark on the back of the crank gear?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bobdole195
In Neutral

Post by bobdole195 »

yes it has fuel and spark and i folwed the work shop manual to the t when i timed it
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

When was the last time this engine ran? You mentioned it had a burnt valve. Any other issues or problems that you know of with this motor?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bobdole195
In Neutral

Post by bobdole195 »

it was running before the job was started. as far as other issues the only thing is that this isn't the first valve that the engine has burnt up. but i cant be sure that it hasn't ever had any other issues because the current owners have only had it for a few months. could a bad crank or cam position sensor cause the fault.
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

bob dole knows that the crank pulley on a subaru can really confuse bob dole. bob dole installed his friends timing belt three times before bob dole got it right. bob dole learned that subaru was messing with bob dole by adding an arrow to the front of the crankshaft sprocket.... :wink: actually, that did happen to the bry...

sounds like you have checked most of the things i would have. what did you mean by the timing is 180 degrees out? if you smell gas, have spark at the plugs, then it should start... unless the timing is off. seeing as how the subie timing is distributorless and completely controlled by computer, via crank and cam position sensors, i'd guess there is a connector issue or bad sensor. however, you would think that would throw a code...

one last thing, i've also been bitten by low fuel pressure. the culprit being the front end was on jack stands so the fuel was just barely touching the fuel pump pickup even though the car (a '96 caprice) had a 1/4 tank. check to make sure you have enough gas in it. sounds silly, but bob dole can vouch that it can happen to anyone....
bobdole195
In Neutral

Post by bobdole195 »

yes its actualy timed off of the timing marks not the arrows and i know its wearied that the ignition timing is so far out its has me puzzled the only reason why i can think it wouldn't throw a code is that it hasn't been able to go through any drive cycles since the fault occurred but im not sure how the self check on the Subarus work
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Can you elaborate on the timing is 180 deg out? What are you reading as the base timing values while cranking?

Silly question, but are the cam sprockets swapped? I'm not sure if it's even possible, but that's the only thing I can think of that would cause you not to have the correct base timing, "Assuming" the timing belt has been installed correctly.

How did the timing belt tensioner look? Maybe the tensioner is bad and allowed the belt to jump a couple teeth when you tried to crank it over. Did you turn the engine over by hand once you released the cotter pin on the tensioner? If this is not done, the proper tension on the belt is not set, and can possibly cause the belt to jump a tooth when you try and crank the engine with the starter.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT