serious sad day ( timing belt )

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lucas
Third Gear

serious sad day ( timing belt )

Post by lucas »

Something in the timing gear has been making a squeeky noise for the past two weeks. Finally today took a friend to autozone to pick up something brought him back to base dropped him off and helped him for about 20 mins.

Got back in my car and noticed that the noise sounded like she was gonna give any minute, sure as shit car died and i didnt try to restart for fear of ruining something.

Has anyone ever experienced a timing related problem? maybe someone has an opinion on what failed?

I know i know i should have done it sooner and my days were numbered, just couldnt afford to change the damn thing without going into more debt, sucks lol but o well guess i dont have a choice now.
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: serious sad day ( timing belt )

Post by kimokalihi »

lol has anyone had a timing problem! Yeah it's no fun. You still have SOHC heads? If so, you're fine. Just gonna cost you the price of the belt and idlers and I recommend oil pump and water pump replaced too. Use OEM parts for the water pump and oil pump at the least. Doing it yourself you're probably looking at around $350.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

the thing that scares me about doing it myself is the idler tensioner thing i have no idea what to do with that damn thing.
I found a guy that is a traveling mechanic and hes gonna do all the good stuff for 650, beats 1000+ at shops. Definitely gonna do water pump and oil if needed.
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, the belt either went and/or one of the idler pullies. Make sure that the timing belt tensioner is very slowly compressed. If it's not done very slowly, it can be damaged, and not provide adequate force to maintain proper tension on the belt.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
H4_Deucer
First Gear

Post by H4_Deucer »

It sounds like one of the idlers froze up, the timing belt is gravy work, if you can read and line up lines, you can do a timing belt, depending how many miles you have, I would just look into getting a new tensioner anyways. It will feel much more rewarding doing it yourself rather than paying some guy.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah $650 is insane. I only say that because i do all my own work. Couldnt imagine throwing away money like that. Its easy enough. I did my first timing belt job when my first legacy belt snapped. Only way to learn is to do it yourself.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

oooohh dont go buy a new tensioner they are 145 at subaru and 160 at napa. just do what josh said. and also its cake work 650 is alot of monies
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

if the tensioner aint leaking to begin with i wont change it. And i would do it myself now if i hadnt already committed to having this guy help me. piece of mind is worth more to me than spending alittle bit of money, maybe next time ill be able to help someone else out. So its all good just hate being a poor bastard lol
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

lucas, don't pay 650 for a timing job, if you get the parts i'll come help you out

and btw i charged 120 for a timing belt on a 2002 IMP OBS.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

i just feel terrible flaking out on the guy I asked to do it, ya know? yes be yes and no be no. im in a pickle
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you are in a pickle, but when it comes to getting your car fixed you shop around if you don't wanna do it yourself right? Either way, im not going to sit here and tell you what to do, just offering the suggestion. If you can't afford it then why break your bank? I'll come by and help free of charge just so you can get an idea of what needs to be done. Either way, i hate to see someone pay so much for such an easy job.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Exactly, that money could buy me a new steering rack, lines and still have a bunch left over! It could buy you a new set of KYBs and springs or swaybars and a ton of chassis bushings.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

yup
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT