Anybody know AutoCAD/CATIA?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Anybody know AutoCAD/CATIA?

Post by kimokalihi »

Talked to a customer the other day that is currently working for boeing and he designs tools for them using a program called CATIA. He told me his son is doing it to at age 20ish and he told me to check it out. Highly recommended it.

It sounds pretty cool and I like building things and designing new things. I just don't know where to start. I'm thinking schedule and appointment with a local community college career counselor? How do you get into that field? What type of schooling is required and where can I take the courses? I've got a high school diploma and that's it. Been messing around the past 5 years and I'm tired of my job. I need a change badly. Also, what kind of salary are these guys making? I realize that's a pretty general question but it'd be nice to get an idea.

It's either this or Comcast Installer at this point and I see literally no future with them and I sure as hell don't see a future with my current job.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Re: Anybody know AutoCAD/CATIA?

Post by magicmike »

I took a 2 year certificate program for CAD which focused on Autocad 2d modeling, 3D rendering and also Solid works and Inventor. One thing you should understand is that the difference between a drafting certificate/degree vs an actual Engineering degree is that being the drafting fellow in the organization you are basically taking a completed design and putting the final touches on it (the stuff the engineers dont have the time to do. Its called "detailing a print") You wont be part of the design process because the design phase is the part where they look to mechanical engineers.

I've worked in manufacturing for 10 years and ME's do all the design work and make the decent money (70'ish to start if you're lucky). Drafters make around 40k.

Just FYI
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
legacywagon
In Neutral

Post by legacywagon »

I also took a 2 year class of drafting and design at a vo-tech school here in Enid at 17-19 years old. Mainly focused on AutoCAD 2D and 3D, which was a good learning program. We also worked on solidworks, rhino, inventor, and chief architect.
The programs are pretty easy to pick up on and is mainly math based. I wouldn't mind picking up my degree in engineering and maybe disigning parts for the after market car companys. lol
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I definitely would suggest pursuing it further to see if it's something you'd be interested in doing.

Different industries do things a little differently, and there's different levels. There's three typical levels if you will: Engineer, Designer, & Drafter. Designers/drafters can be the same, but again it depends on the industry, the place you're working, skill level, etc.

The main difference between a drafter and designer is that a drafter will typically just make changes that have already be called out or duplicate a drawing or something like that. A designer will take input from the engineer, operations, or whomever and actually come up with a design. The designer has to know the proper design criteria and codes in order to do this properly. There is some mixing between what the engineer & designer do. The engineer may layout the overal general design and leave the detailed design to the designer. For example how and where to run piping, where to fit this junction box in, etc.

Anyway, like I said, I think it'd be something worth checking out. Investing in your career, whether it be time, money, or both can only help you in the long run from a happiness and financial stand point.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks for the info. The thought of going back to school is very intimidating to me after 5 years of being away from it. Also because by now I have forgotten all but basic math and writing essays every night and working at the same time...ugh. I'd want to be the person coming up with the designs, not perfecting them or finishing them. Plus 40K isn't much money IMO if you're looking to own a house at some point and have a family.

Can you take the courses by themselves or do you have to take other classes as well? I'm assuming they teach this field in community colleges?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
legacywagon
In Neutral

Post by legacywagon »

You should do it. The class here was at a vocational school and wasn't to bad. I would love to take the class again or finally go take the college classes to finish out a degree and get a hold of a few of the programs.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It does look very interesting. I took Nintendo's DigiPen Computer Animation course which was only a few weeks but it was pretty cool and this is somewhat similar although quite different in many ways. It was really cool and I enjoyed it and had planned to pursue a career in animation but didn't take school seriously and let my grades fall to average and you need really good grades to get into Nintendo's school.

I would really like to get into the automotive part of the business and design parts for cars or maybe design my own aftermarket parts some day.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

kimokalihi wrote:Plus 40K isn't much money IMO if you're looking to own a house at some point and have a family.
You've got to start somewhere. Do some more research and find out what the salary ranges are and go from there.

I'd recommend some classroom time. There's some stuff you can figure out on your own, but there's stuff you need to be shown/taught.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have CATIA on my computer right now and I watched a simple tutorial on youtube but I learn much easier hands on and from a real person who can answer questions.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I personally found drafting to be hair-pulling tedium. Definitely not worth it for $40k, especially if you factor in your education costs. I made that much years ago without a degree and I actually designed things (boring shit like fixturing for running prototype parts in our assembly lines, a sound-proof test box, and an automated machine that put straddle edge connectors onto PC cards). But, knowing the programs is good for designing your own things and getting them prototyped. Especially with the increasing availability of ever more versatile 3D printers, bringing your ideas to life will only get cheaper. It will be great for the entrepreneurial designer, especially if you're just designing parts for pre-existing designs. I'm thinking of taking a refresher course myself and at least have the ability to communicate my ideas to someone who can fabricate them as doing everything myself is too much for my limited time, patience, and (less so) money.

You'd probably do better than $40k as a Comcast installer. There is room to advance from there, but it's not quick or easy. If you're in a big market, there's more room to advance if you can get into the equipment side, but you'll have to know telecommunications stuff and probably get in through an agency.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.