1991 SS no crank

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

slipknot51
First Gear

1991 SS no crank

Post by slipknot51 »

So i have had alot of issues with this car in the past and i am still having problems. For some reason my car is a no crank no start. I have check for 12 volts at the starter S terminal and i don't have any voltage. I did also check the ignition switch for the 12 that would go to the starter and i do have 12 volts there. I dont think that my Park/neutral swtich AKA Inhibitor switch is bad because i do still have the reverse tail lights come on and the cluster in the dash does notice different transmission ranges. I was wondering if I had a faulty transmission control module would that cause a no crank condition
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
subydaddy
First Gear

Re: 1991 SS no crank

Post by subydaddy »

That should cause a no start condition. I'm not positive, but if that sensor was to go out it should behave as though it's in gear.

I would go back to the ignition switch. Check for continuity on the "S" terminal and the 12v wire that powers it when you turn the key. You can also jump 12v to the starter wire and see if that'll wake the starter up. I'd do that lower down the steering column at the harness, I'd also use a fuse... just in case.

If the ignition S terminal is bad you can easily hook up a push button switch and an SPDT relay(or change the ignition of course). I just did this on a Honda and actually put in two buttons that had to be pushed at the same time to run the starter. Sort of a safety feature so it doesn't accidentally get pressed while the engine is running.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1991 SS no crank

Post by Legacy777 »

You can pull the B15 trans plug and jumper pins 11 & 12 together on the chassis side to eliminate the inhibitor switch as a problem. What I'd suggest is jumper pins 11 & 12 & pull the B14 connector off the starter, then use a meter to check for voltage when you try to start the car (key in the START position). If you have voltage when pins 11 & 12 are jumpered, but no voltage when not jumpered, you know you have an issue with the inhibitor switch. If you still don't have any voltage with pins 11 & 12 jumpered, then the problem is somewhere else.

Here's a diagram of the starting system.
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... arting.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm