KYB strut name change, GR-2 to Excel-G

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

KYB strut name change, GR-2 to Excel-G

Post by Legacy777 »

Some of you may know this, but KYB is eliminating the GR-2 name in favor of the Excel-G name they use outside of the US & Canada. It's still the same strut/shock as the GR-2, just a different name.

Here's a bulletin regarding the change.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... lletin.pdf
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KYB strut name change, GR-2 to Excel-G

Post by DLC »

Good to know
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Bender-san
First Gear

Post by Bender-san »

There have been discussions on multiple forums regarding this change. I have installed both GR-2 and Excel-G dampers into different vehicles, and in some cases there is a clear and distinct difference between the valving of the two. The Excel-G has much softer valving in some vehicle applications than the GR-2. I'm not sure if this applies to the early Legacy chassis or not, but I'm not taking any chances on the Excel-G until I've seen 3rd party dyno plots of each damper.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I'd like to replace the struts on my 06 Legacy wagon, and the Excel-G's are my only option at this time unless I want to go back to stock.....I'd like just a little stiffer than stock.

Of course when I asked KYB about the damping, they replied it's 10-15% stiffer than stock.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

bilstein HDs or konis?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I haven't really looked, so when I'm ready to replace them I'll do some more snooping around.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Bender-san
First Gear

Post by Bender-san »

Legacy777 wrote:Of course when I asked KYB about the damping, they replied it's 10-15% stiffer than stock.
Do you still have your inside source / KYB engineer to talk to? If not, I would not assume that the people on the other end of the phone have any idea about the damping capabilities of either your OEM shocks or their own.
Bender-san
First Gear

Post by Bender-san »

Another thought just popped into my head. Have you tried to source the Legacy Spec B suspension parts? Are they any different from what you'd find on a regular turbo Legacy?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

the stock spec b bilsteins are pretty popular on legacygt. but I would save my money and go with Bilstein HDs or konis on the 05-09 platform.

Honestly, I'll only recommend GR2s if you have no sporting intentions whatsoever because they are essentially a stock strut. And yes I know they say 10-15% stiffer but I don't believe it would be very noticeable coming from a brand new oem damper.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Bender-san,

I can look back through my old emails to see if the original guy I spoke with a couple years back can give me some specific info.

Jamal,

I'm not looking for crazy increase in stiffness, as this would be a daily driver. Once I get the other issues addressed, I'll look into the suspension. The stock suspension has around 93k miles on it, so it's probably not in the best shape, but may not be completely worn. I may start with an upgrade on the anti-sway bar.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I just noticed the name change too as I just put new kyb's on the front of my car. Sadly I got an old boxed strut and a new boxed strut so one is black and the other is silver :(

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog