transmission install trouble please help

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

the94subaru
First Gear

transmission install trouble please help

Post by the94subaru »

OK my transmission went out a while back and I got one to replace it at a junkyard and I just got it put in last night. I replaced the seals and filter it had no metal in the pan and the fluid was nice and red so seemed good. I had no trouble getting the old one out or the new one in but when I went to tighten the flywheel bolts the motor wouldn't turn easily but eventually it did and got all the bolts put in and when I went to test it its making a clanking noise not real bad but its there and it won't shift, the gear selector moves but it doesn't seem to engage in any gear. I think I remember reading that the turbo automatic had something different about it that you could break while installing it am I correct on that? Also some more info this is a 94 turbo auto replaced with a 92 turbo auto with 127,000 miles I have a 90 day guarantee on the transmission. I think its something to do with the torque convertor because that's where the noise is coming from and that's where it was tight when I put it together any help is appreciated thank you.
Deride
Second Gear

Re: transmission install trouble please help

Post by Deride »

If the torque converter wasn't in its proper spot, the pump is going to be destroyed.
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

Does that sound like what happened if so I still have a good diff from my old trans is that all I would need the old trans. Was just mimissing 3rd and 4th. I made sure it was back all the way do you think it came out while I was putting it in.
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Post by Mister Anderson »

It could have been in the junkyard because the transmission was bad. You never know.
Last edited by Mister Anderson on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

"back all the way" and "in the right spot" are 2 different things. I normally have the motor out and radiator out when I swap them and I turn the torque converter by hand and watch the fluid pump out of the line to be sure it is set "in the right spot".
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

Well I had the trans out and I slid it on then turned it and it popped into place. Another question I'm new to putting a trans in and was wondering when I pulled the torque convertor from the new trans it had a shaft connected to it and my old one the shaft stayed in there which one is wrong. Could someone give me a run down on what that should look like and how it works.
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

I did some research on the internet and I more than likely didn't have the torque converter in far enough and junked my trans fluid pump. What is involved in replaceing or rebuilding that pump has anyone done this before? If there is a past thread please post the link. Thank you
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My recommendation would be to get a new/used trans. Rebuilding the pump would require taking apart the trans and be much more involved time and cost to try and complete.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

do you think the pump is in fact ruined if so the pump in my old transmission worked can't i just put it in the new one. It took me a little bit to find the trans I got and I had to drive 6 hours to get it and back. I don't have to tell you how rare one is.
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Post by Mister Anderson »

You have a 90 day guarantee ;)
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I do not have experience taking the auto trans apart, so I can't say whether you could swap the pumps out. Deride would be able to probably give you some more input.

As Mister Anderson noted....you do have a 90 day guarantee.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

In my experience, if the torque converter doesn't fully seat, you can't even get the motor to fully mate with the tranny, there is like a 1/4 in gap between the bell housing. I did this the first time i pulled the motor out of my first Legacy 10 years ago. I couldn't figure out why the hell the motor wouldn't mate with the tranny. I had that thing in and out like 3 times before i figured out what was up.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon