How much torque can a helicoil take?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

coffeeman885
First Gear

How much torque can a helicoil take?

Post by coffeeman885 »

I messed up some of the threads on one of the bolt holes while putting my ALK in. I am going to try to fix them with at tap but if that doesn't work then I will probably have to helicoil it. Will helicoils hold a 182 ft/lbs? I don't want to screw it up more or loose a bolt while at a rallycross.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
vrg3
Vikash

Re: How much torque can a helicoil take?

Post by vrg3 »

Supposedly, properly installed Helicoils are stronger than almost all factory threads. I believe they even say so right on the package.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

yes, the outer threads are larger than the stock size plus they are made of a nice high strength steel.

On my old car I helicoiled that exact hole. I should have the kit and drill bit around somewhere if you need it. The bit was a wierd size I had to get from mcmaster and then I ended up turning in a lathe to fit a 1/2" drill chuck. I had to buy a new drill for that one too so replacing a control arm I got for $35 shipped ended up being a ~$200 job.
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

I was able to just tap out the threads so I didn't need the helicoils. Good to know though.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"