Auto to manual

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MeinKreuz
In Neutral

Auto to manual

Post by MeinKreuz »

Hey guys, I pick up a 93 legacy sporty turbo with a auto a few weeks ago for a couple hundred dollars. Safe to say the guy I bought it off of thought the wheel bearings were bad, and I thought the same from the slight click it was making from the passenger side. Well something in the front passenger side went, prob the diff. Makes a grinding noise and grinds/wont move once an a while. No biggy, give me the chance to do the 5 speed swap I was going to do anyway. I read all the write ups online of the swap, but nowhere could the exact info on the transmission I need. 5MT I know, but can i swap a 5MT from a 95-99 into my 93? I read something about a 4 bolt main and a 6 bolt? Are the bell housings the same an everything? having a hard time trying to find this info. An I assume that this swap with be like any other an I wouldn't need to change the ecu out for a manual one? Usually the auto trans has its own computer that I'll just use as target practice. Checked the rear already and it has a 3.9 diff, so I'm gonna swap out the old for a 4.11 when I change to a manual. Any DETAILED information on this swap would be awesome, cause most write ups just skim the top and don't really get into the full details that will make this swap a picky bitch. Thanks for the info!
mike-tracy

Re: Auto to manual

Post by mike-tracy »

In this very forum is another with q's like yours. By Turtle, about 10 down. There are two detailed links in his posting.

From the top of my head.
All EJ series transmissions will bolt up. 4 hole. 8 hole. Same bellhousing shape.
For the Turbo car, the ECU needs to be told what transmission it is connected to (included in the links in Turtle's thread).

Check out his thread and post what q's you still have.
Good luck!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Auto to manual

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm