Power steering pump/or rack and pinion problem

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

slipknot51
First Gear

Power steering pump/or rack and pinion problem

Post by slipknot51 »

So in the past week i have started to noticed that i have been having some steering issues. I have noticed that when I'm turning either direction turning seems to be easy then gets hard then easy again it is really bad when i first start and drive the car and when i get up to op temp its seems to be less noticeable but not 100% gone. The first thing i check was the pump itself i checked the fluid level which is in proper level. Then the belt and the tension on the belt which checked out good. Then visually inspected around and fallowed the lines down to the rack and pinion and found no leaks. Check the tie rod ends and all turning components every thing seems to be good tire pressure is set to 35psi on stock size tires. I have a feeling that it might be my rack and pinion going out but would like to have a second opinion on the matter or maybe some diag to make 100% sure it is before having to get a new one
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Power steering pump/or rack and pinion problem

Post by kimokalihi »

Sounds like what my rack did before I rebuilt it. It would be hard to turn at first but then it would hit a spot where all of the sudden you could feel some power steering kicking in but it would stick in the middle so you could turn it a little and go around a corner with no hands on the wheel.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ggbox69
First Gear

Post by ggbox69 »

The same thing basically happened to me too, some spots I felt the power, other spots the wheel would be hard to turn and want to stay in place. I thought it was the pump and swapped it out for another I had but it didn't fix it. I wound up finding a used rack with lower miles to swap in, but when I took out my old rack I noticed the U-joint in the steering shaft was frozen solid. I realized this could have been the issue the whole time, when the U-joint would spin to a spot it would have to bend, it would bind up the steering.

Either way I put in the newer rack and made sure to grease up the U-joint and things have been fine. Might be worth a look at that U-joint though, maybe hit it with some penetrating lube or something.
1994 Wagon - Turbo swapped DD
EJ22T, 3'' TBE, Apexi Intake, Spec Clutch, H&R's, Robtune, VF39, 550's, Walbro, V2 STI Top Mount, AEM Wideband
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

sweet i will try to spray the u joint the next time in under it and maybe try to grease it and see if that changes things. I never thought to look at the joint but im sure that would cause some issues.
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Well the Power steering still seems to be bad and Im still having the same issue I checked the fluid level its at the full mark. I did take and see if the issue changed with rpm and doen't do anything and my steering wheel is not returning to straight. I did notice that the steering gets better when the car gets up to op temp maybe since the fluid warms up but still binds then looses up and binds again plus the lack of returning im guessing the its my rack and pinion leaking internially. One thing I did noticed after I changed my brakes in the front and unloaded the suspention and took it around the block I notice that I didn't have any issues for a few days but then it shortly went back to having issues
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I know you said you checked the tie rods and ball joints, but what exactly did you do to check them? When you had the car jacked up, have you tried to wiggle the wheel to make sure the bearings are still good?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Well what I do is set the car on jack stands and take a big pry bar and have my dad pry up on the bottom of the tire and i watch to see if I have any movement from the balljoint,control arms and tie rod ends. I also try to check the bearing out by feeling to see if i have any play in the bearing. I also checked the tierod end by grabbing it a pulling on it to see if the ball and socket joint has some play in it and also check the inner tie rod end to at the rack. Every thing seems to check out and doesnt have any excessive play in. I have noticed that i do hear a creaking/crunching noise comming from my right front brake and I noticed that i have started to have the issue. I did change the brakes and like I said it went away but then the noise came back a few days later and I hear the noise again and started having the issue. I did take and use the caliper slide lube. Idk just putting in my imput.
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

A creaking noise is somewhat an indicator of a ball joint or tie rod end. Everything may feel "tight", but it's possible they may not have any grease and things are binding.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Well the noise only happens when I am under slight to mild brake applications, Not while turning. Like I said the noise went away after I did my brake job but came back a few days later. Idk if its just weird that I start to notice my steering going weird once I start hearing that noise again. Would binding up brake caliper slides be the possible cause. I hear were your coming from on the ball joints its one of the things im going to look into more
08 Spec b Legacy
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

So since were on the subject of ball joints i have been looking into upgrades and i see that whiteline makes this kit for the 2002 and new impreza's and it includes both tie rod ends and balljoints

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Whiteli ... 11-WRX-STI

I am wondering if this kit would on our year legacies
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think a sticking brake slide would cause that....but anything is possible.

I know the tie rod ends are different between the legacy & impreza. The Legacy ends have a slight bend in them, and the impreza ends are straight.

Here's the Legacy ends

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... s/ej22t/21

Here's the Impreza ends

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... balljoint/

Jamal would likely know if they are interchangable and what the difference may cause when swapped. I'm guessing the hub/spindle may also come into play.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

The straight tie rods do fit with no issues, have them on both of my cars.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, good to know.

Did you see any difference in steering effort or alignment?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Well idk what I have been doing different but my steering has been getting better it doesnt seem to be binding up as much like it did before but ill keep you guys posted on if anything gets changes
08 Spec b Legacy
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Everything lines up just fine and steering is unchanged. The cool thing about changing to the straight one is, part stores have them in stock and there is not a right and left, same part fits both sides.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)