Lost 1/2 qt oil in 300 miles of hwy driving.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

190,000 miles. EJ22
Had about 2,000 miles on the oil and lost 1/2 quart during it. I checked the oil before I left on this trip. It was half way between L and H. This is a reasonable amount of oil consumption for an engine with 200K miles.

Drove about 300 miles on the highway at steady 65-75 with the RPM around 3,000. Now the oil is down to low.
Which means it lost about 1/2 a quart in 300 miles. WTF?
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Lost 1/2 qt oil in 300 miles of hwy driving.

Post by SILINC3R »

Are you running synthetic, is there blue smoke, does it leak?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Fill it back up to Full and check it again after your next tank of fuel. I'm betting it'll be fine - make sure you check it parked in the same level place each time for consistent results.....I let it sit for 30 minutes, too.

If not, try a new PCV for a few bucks and see.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

It only does it after a long highway driving.... PCV valve has been replaced a few months ago.
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Post by FundamentalyConfused »

Are you able to crawl underneath it to see if the rear main is leaking?
1999 Forester S 5MT 200,000 miles and counting.
1990 Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT Retired at 369,471 Miles
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

I've pulled one motor at 187K and another at around 200K and neither showed signs of the rear main seal leaking..... however, both were leaking a lot from the oil separator plate (the original plastic POS). That thing was/is junk. The metal ones are the way to go.

Beater, check for obvious leaks.... valve covers, cam seals, rear end of motor, oil pan. Might not be consumption at all.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

The only leak I had was when Jiffy Lube didn't install the plug right. I made them fix that, then I cleaned the area with engine cleaner. I don't see any oil in that area.

No drips on the ground where I park. The engine had a lot of oil everywhere from misc fluids and when CV spewed out its guts, but I never cleaned it since I bought it.

I don't want to cause ignition problems by getting the engine wet unnecessarily. It already happened once.

jp, would those cause oil to hold fine for 2,000 miles in regular day to day driving, but lose 1/2 qt in 350 miles of sustained freeway driving?
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

I don't use a pressure washer (water) to clean engines, unless they are out of the car. Sometimes I'll use a little washer thing on my air compressor, to clean the inside of the hood and the firewall, strut towers, etc (all the painted surfaces), but I always cover the coils, plug wires, alternator, and all major engine harness connectors with plastic bags.

I normally clean stuff with brake cleaner on engines, to determine where leaks are coming from. Cam seals and valve covers can leak like hell. The crank seal can too.

Oil leaks can be strange. Sometimes stronger than others. Don't think about the type of driving, just try to find a leak and clean the block as best you can, to see if it is leaking out of somewhere. If you can determine NO place that it is leaking, then you can assume consumption. These motors do leak.... every motor leaks... I had a cam seal leaking so bad, it would go through quarts at a time. But never really leaked on the ground. It would puddle on those plastic rain guards in the front, and the rest was soaking the exhaust and the drivers side suspension/steering/chassis. The underside of the car had an inch of old oil caked on it.... but it never really made puddles in the driveway.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Could have an exhaust valve on its way out. Happened to me. Car used an assload of oil for a few days to about a week, no smoke, no leaks. Get on the highway, accelerate up to 85, and I hear an odd exhaust note off the guardrail. 15 miles later, the car starts running kind of rough and I think an ignition lead popped loose. Nope.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You never said whether you were running synthetic oil or not.

The only time my old Legacy ever used oil was when I was running a synthetic blend... had my friend drive the car away from me and get on it, and there was a big puff of blue smoke on the 1-2 shift. Switched back to dino oil and never had the problem again.

+1 on the separator plate and not the rear main. My rear main was bone dry at 183k miles.

Two other forgotten oil seals are the O-rings that go on the camshaft retainer on the front of the driver's cylinder head, behind the sprocket, and the corresponding plate on the back of the passenger's cylinder head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

Running conventional oil. I don't remember what it was. Whatever it was Jiffy Lube put in there... and a quart of 10W-40 I just added after I found it was a quart low.
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

Yeah, definitely the o-ring behind the driver's side cam wheel is a leaker. Also on the back plate on the passenger cylinder head. I just changed those out from the motor in my 94, which had 187K on it. It was leaking pretty good from the passenger side, and leaking bad from the oil separater plate.

After all the work I did, I plum forgot to change the o-ring behind the driver's cam wheel....... D'OH !!!! Oh well, I'm not pulling it apart now and it doesn't leak that bad, but it does leak. Will have to be at the next timing belt.

And OBTW, that #2 cylinder (driver's head, front) also has an exhaust valve that leaks a little bit.... noticeable oil past the exhaust valve when looking from the manifold side. But it still pulled 166 psi and I left it alone. All the rest of the cylinders were 180-182 psi, though.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Mine ran like it was on meth until about 10 miles after the exhaust note started sounding funny. If it ends up being that, might as well do HGs at the same time.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Check all the points mentioned for oil leaks, but if there are no oil leaks, you're just burning oil at sustained highway driving.

What brand of oil are you using? Have you consistantly used this brand of oil in the past?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

After I topped off with a quart, I got the level to full when I checked it a few hours later. Then... after I put another 500 miles or so of everyday driving, its higher than F by about half inch. Fuel dilution?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

These cars can be kind of finicky about the oil level. Sometimes they may read lower and then read higher. I've found that I noticed it more with certain brands of oil. I use Mobil dino oil now and don't really notice it much any more.

Are you parking on a flat surface every time you check the oil level?

What brand & weight oil are you using?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

yes, always check on flat... 10W-30. don't know the brand the shop put in. It's dyno though.
I check it when its sat for a while too, so I'm not reading the splash back in the dip stick tube.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Not sure what to say.....I have experienced what you described regarding the levels being off when checking, but don't know why it happens...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT