Need help with AC

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tdaz250
In Neutral

Need help with AC

Post by tdaz250 »

I recharged the system with r134 or whatever the current product is...clutch is not engaging on the compressor...can i jump the compressor to see if thats what the problem is? and if so how would i do that? I noticed the plug has 3 prongs...how would i go about jumping it?

Also i dont think its a leak. I recharged it about 2 weeks ago and came back yesterday to check it and its still got a high pressure. I checked the fuses and the relays and they all seem good visually.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need help with AC

Post by Legacy777 »

When you recharged it, did the can have a gauge on it? If so, what was the pressure?

More than likely it's the pressure switch on the receiver drier. Do you have a multi meter?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91Beater
First Gear

Re: Need help with AC

Post by 91Beater »

tdaz250 wrote:I recharged the system with r134 or whatever the current product is...clutch is not engaging on the compressor...can i jump the compressor to see if thats what the problem is?

and if so how would i do that? I noticed the plug has 3 prongs...how would i go about jumping it?
Yes, with a piece of wire with the car off. Disconnect the compressor connector. Apply 12v to the one pin that leads into the compressor.

You might have a fault on control side. See the interior sub-forum for A/C system diagnostic thread.

Before you do anything, turn on the ignition without starting the engine.

Push the A/C on. The fans at radiator should come on. If it doesn't, check refrigerant pressure at one of the ports. The pressure in psi should be about the same as temperature in Fahrenheit, if it's not the system is completely flat and you need to fix the leak.

If that checks out but the radiator fans aren't going, you have a fault on control side. Check the 10A fuse in A/C relay box (near front left suspension pod). After that, hit the"A/C" button hard. if that makes it come on, the control box is bad.