N/A Turbo EJ22E with EJ22T internals?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

KristjanJohann
First Gear

N/A Turbo EJ22E with EJ22T internals?

Post by KristjanJohann »

Hi, I just finished my first N/A turbo project. EJ22E with Forester TF035 turbine, headers, topmount... exc exc. I have another motor that I want to build from scratch so I have a few questions regarding this.

What should I buy from a EJ22T to upgrade my EJ22E so It will handle turbo better? Pistons maybe?

Do the internals all fit?

Where can I buy cheap EJ22 headgaskets and seals online? Would EJ22T headgaskets fit and would those be improvement? Should I maybe get WRX headgaskets instead? Should I buy aftermarket headbolts?

How much will the stock WG on the TF035 open?

Note that I must be able to get this shipped to Iceland and we do not have any EJ22T here.

Thanks guys ;)

PS.

Mod list for the motor I just made turbo
  • Forester turbine / TF035HM and I also own a TD04
    Forester stock headers
    3" catless downpipe
    Forester stock top mount
    Forester yellow top feed injectors / 440cc
    Forester water pump
    Wrx Waterpump
    Apexi Neo Safc Piggyback
Subaru Legacy GX '97 [BG]
Subaru Legacy GX 2.2 Turbo '91 [BF7]
Subaru Leone GLX '86 [AC5] Getting EJ22T
Suzuki GSX-R 750 '90
Mazda 626 '81

Subaru Legacy GT '97 [BK6] Sold
Subaru Forester '00 [SF] Sold
and maaany moooore :D

http://www.flickr.com/kristjanjohann
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: N/A Turbo EJ22E with EJ22T internals?

Post by evolutionmovement »

The internals are the same size, but if you're going to try to get turbo pistons, you might want to look into aftermarket ones. Rods are forged from the factory, but they can be improved as well, if you do aftermarket pistons. But of course, then it can become an expensive game of "if this, then why not that?" and "while I'm in there...".
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you rebuilding this and putting oversized pistons in? Like Steve said, I'd probably suggest aftermarket pistons. The stock Subaru pistons will likely cost you as much or more....assuming you can find them.

How much power are you wanting to make on this motor? That will really determine what you should upgrade/replace on your EJ22E.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

As far as internals go, only the pistons are actually different. From everything I've seen and read, the EJ22e and the EJ22t share the crank and rods anyways.

I agree with the others, aftermarket forged EJ22T pistons and upgraded rods (STI take-offs will do) should get you a long ways.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

The US Forester XT yellow top injectors are 550cc(520cc)
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The turbo pistons ARE different, but they will fit. They're tougher, but not bulletproof and will drop your CR to 8:1 in an EJ22 with stock heads. Custom pistons could also be ordered with different CR's, if that's what you'd want.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
KristjanJohann
First Gear

Post by KristjanJohann »

Not sure yet on hp. Perhaps ca 12-15psi if possible. I'd like to use my TD04 and boost it up. With a front mount.

I was not thinking oversize pistons no. Just something stronger then stock for direct replacement. Aftermarket EJ22T pistons and STi rods sounds nice. Can you give me some brand ideas and links?

The main reason for this upgrade is cuz I need to change headgaskets... So why not pistons and maybe berings and such ;D like evolutiovement said... if thus. Why not that... Thats excactly my problrm now and that is why I was thinking of buying used EJ22T pistons. Don't want to start building with alot of nee stuff.... Then I can't stop ;)
Suzuki GSX-R 750 '90
Mazda 626 '81

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

When you change the pistons, you should replace the rings, if you replace the rings, you should hone the cylinders, and if you hone the cylinders you have to split the block, and if you're going to split the block, change the bearings and you're doing a complete rebuild.

So if all you need to change is the headgasket, I'd seriously consider what you end goal is because there is no "I'll just do this part" when it comes to rebuilding Subaru engines. If you do one part, you really should do everything, and then it gets much more involved and expensive.

12-15 psi on a non-turbo engine compression ratio is quite high and probably wouldn't work. With a turbo engine compression ratio of around 8:1 or 8.5:1, that's much more managable. However, you can keep the CR high, and not run as much boost and have just as fast a car and better off boost performance. So just something to think about.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

KristjanJohann
First Gear

Post by KristjanJohann »

Legacy777 wrote:When you change the pistons, you should replace the rings, if you replace the rings, you should hone the cylinders, and if you hone the cylinders you have to split the block, and if you're going to split the block, change the bearings and you're doing a complete rebuild.

So if all you need to change is the headgasket, I'd seriously consider what you end goal is because there is no "I'll just do this part" when it comes to rebuilding Subaru engines. If you do one part, you really should do everything, and then it gets much more involved and expensive.

12-15 psi on a non-turbo engine compression ratio is quite high and probably wouldn't work. With a turbo engine compression ratio of around 8:1 or 8.5:1, that's much more managable. However, you can keep the CR high, and not run as much boost and have just as fast a car and better off boost performance. So just something to think about.
I really want to do a complete rebuild and I would have to know how much I would have to spend on the parts to do it. If it's $500ish I would definitely do it but if it would go past $1000 I think I'd go with the motor like it is :D

So lets say:

Headgasket? EJ22T gaskets or maybe WRX gaskets?
Aftermarket Pistons?
Rings? Stock or do they come aftermarket
Stronger aftermarket bearings?

All the other stuff I have already bought timebelt, seals ext ext

So any idea what the parts would cost and I'd then have to calculate later how much shipping to Iceland is and f***ing customs... ;D
Suzuki GSX-R 750 '90
Mazda 626 '81

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Headgasket. $70-200 depending on aftermarket, OEM, composite or MLS. Use an EJ22 gasket, a 2.0 or 2.5 one will not work.

Pistons. $350-$600 depending on custom or off-the-shelf design. A custom piston can be made to your desired compression ratio. They generally come with proper rings.

Rings. Generally they come with aftermarket forged pistons. If re-using pistons they run $50-$100.

Bearings. $100-$200 depending on stock or aftermarket, El-cheapo parts store or quality brand.

Also include the block o-rings and gaskets you will need when the block is split. $250 for the OEM kit that includes every gasket on the motor (including head gaskets) or about $50 piecemeal.

If your trying to keep it about $500, just change the head gasket as long as the engine seemed healthy before. I wouldn't attempt your first Subaru rebuild without a $1200 (+safety net) budget.
Last edited by PhyrraM on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's likely going to be more than $500.

This post has info on prices for what I put in my motor. You may not want to use all those components, but it gives you an idea of the costs.

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 41#p344241
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

KristjanJohann
First Gear

Post by KristjanJohann »

PhyrraM wrote:Headgasket. $70-200 depending on aftermarket, OEM, composite or MLS. Use an EJ22 gasket, a 2.0 or 2.5 one will not work.

Pistons. $350-$600 depending on custom or off-the-shelf design. A custom piston can be made to your desired compression ratio. They generally come with proper rings.

Rings. Generally they come with aftermarket forged pistons. If re-using pistons they run $50-$100.

Bearings. $100-$200 depending on stock or aftermarket, El-cheapo parts store or quality brand.

Also include the block o-rings and gaskets you will need when the block is split. $250 for the OEM kit that includes every gasket on the motor (including head gaskets) or about $50 piecemeal.

If your trying to keep it about $500, just change the head gasket as long as the engine seemed healthy before. I wouldn't attempt your first Subaru rebuild without a $1200 (+safety net) budget.
Ok so $1000+ for it would maybe be acceptable if I were in US but the shipping cost would be $200 and customs $300 ;) That's too much.

Thank you guys for your quick answers, this really helped me alot.
Suzuki GSX-R 750 '90
Mazda 626 '81

KristjanJohann
First Gear

Post by KristjanJohann »

One more thing...

I welded a fitting in my oil pan for the return line. This was the best I could come up with.

As you can see in the first picture I got a 45°bend on there and it didn't fit...

So I got a straight one but it tilts a liiiiitle bit forward.... Do you guys think I can make it work with this one or do you think the oil wont go in :o

Note that I didn't find any shorter 45° bends and the 90°bend wouldn't fit. I tried.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 '90
Mazda 626 '81