Firewall pass through grommet

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Firewall pass through grommet

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

Anybody know the part number for the firewall pass through grommet that is to the left of the steering rack (right between the clutch and brake pedals?

I've looked at the factory parts catalog and the picture for all the seals and plugs is absolutely useless when it comes to selecting a specific part.
'93 Stroker T-Leg - Weisco forged internals, 440cc gray tops, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake manifold, EJ25 phase 1 crank, JDM STi 5-speed mated to 4.11 lsd rear end
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Firewall pass through grommet

Post by Legacy777 »

Is it a plug or is it a grommet for the speedo cable, throttle or something else?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

Its a plug, nothing passes through it stock. Currently my oil pressure line is the only thing but somewhere in my build I lost the plug so I have an 1"+ hole in the firewall.
'93 Stroker T-Leg - Weisco forged internals, 440cc gray tops, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake manifold, EJ25 phase 1 crank, JDM STi 5-speed mated to 4.11 lsd rear end
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've always wondered what all the extra grommets that aren't being use or plugs are for. Seems the turbo sedans have just about every option that was available so what are they there for? They sure come in handy when running and boost/oil/afr gauges or amp power wire.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Where exactly in the firewall is it located? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's underneath the brake booster and is the grommet used to plug the hole for the cable clutch.

Does that sound right...?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh I see. I think I ran my wideband and boost stuff through that hole.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about and upload it. It's right behind the brake pedal but nothing passes through it besides the line for my oil pressure gauge.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just ran my thermocouple probe wires through that grommet but I already had my boost and AFR stuff going through there. Real pain in the ass to get stuff through that grommet without popping it out and then it's a pain in the ass to get the grommet back in place.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah that grommet is for the cable clutch.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Subaru also says that is for passing a line through to the cabin for a pressure gauge when checking auto trans pressures while on a test drive. Kinda handy but rarely used for that purpose, at least by the techs I worked and talked with, I think thay just say that so they don't look lazy!
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I guess that makes sense.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT