KYB AGX rear strut blew apart

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bdub
Second Gear

KYB AGX rear strut blew apart

Post by Bdub »

I was driving down the road, normal driving conditions, dry sunny day, and hit a small dip in the road. BANG, all of a sudden the loudest noise came from the rear of the car. Scared the crap out of me, so I pulled over, looked around, and saw nothing. I thought that was odd, so as I go along down the road, the car has a nasty clunking on every little bump. I figured maybe messed up the top hat, or something, nothing visibly looked damaged. I was in for quite the surprise when I got the car up on a jack. The left rear strut housing literally separated from the top piece which I can only assume holds the whole strut assembly together. Oil is leaking everywhere because it busted the seal.
So, I bought these used, not sure how many miles were even on them to begin with, so I just sucked it up, bought a new LR strut. That wasn't the issue. When I finally got the damn strut out, I had discovered that when the strut probably blew, and a combination of me driving around on it afterward, had cracked my Ground Control Coilover sleeve right down the middle! I'm so flipping pissed. I'm hoping I can just get that piece so I can finally get the car back together. Between the holidays and everyone being on vacation, it's been taking me forever to source the damn parts, now I have to wait a week at least to hear back from Ground Control.
I inspected the whole strut, and I'm not sure if the corrosion just got to the right places of the strut, and that is what caused it to blow, or what. I've never abused the struts, and they are set to 6, so not stiff at all.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: KYB AGX rear strut blew apart

Post by beatersubi »

Interesting. KYB has a lifetime replacement warranty on their struts.
You might be able to find a single replacement threaded sleeve from a circle track parts supplier, like Day, who usually stock a variety of lengths and a few diameters.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have found a site that sells Ground Control parts separately for a Miata, but nothing for Subarus. Waiting to hear back from GC hopefully by tomorrow when they come back from holidays.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you take any pictures of the blown strut & seal setup?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

So the good news is Ground Control got back to me, and the sleeves are only $22. I did get to snap a picture. As you can see, the top piece of the strut totally came out. The mess all over is the oil coming out the top.

91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Looks pretty heavily corroded around the top. Does the sleeve trap water/moisture around the top of the strut housing?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Yeah, Im assuming the corrosion had something to do with it. The top piece that came off doesnt trap anything between the sleeve and the strut, however i think I made a fatal mistake grinding down the strut body to fit the sleeve around. I never reapplied any paint or primer, and that bare metal was just eaten away for the past couple years. Thats my best guess why it did what it did.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Man, Ground Control was really helpful. I talked to them on the phone Thursday, and the new sleeve showed up this morning. He also sent me everything to mount it, directions, plus some stickers. A+ for customer service woth them. The sleeve was only $22, and I got the car all back together after 3 weeks sitting in the garage.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan