Couple questions, and all about interior!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ihada147
In Neutral

Couple questions, and all about interior!

Post by Ihada147 »

What's up guys? I recently bought a 93 legacy sw and I have a couple questions regarding the interior and roof rack.
First off: the rear passenger side seat has a broken pull latch/switch (whatever you want to call it) and i'm unable to put it down, is there a way to fix this without ripping the seat open? I tried to use a flat head to push the mechanism up but no luck, it's in a very tight spot, and the problem is that the metal wire inside the seat that would pull up the mechanism is missing. Anyone care to shine some light on this?

Second thing: I had some 6.5 inch jvc 2 way speakers left over from my last project car and I decided to throw them on the leggy, the rear speakers went in like a dream, as for the fronts, I didn't want to drill any holes on the door itself so what I did was separate the oem speaker from it's original base and screwed it down kind of like a plate to hold the new speakers in place (if you think that's too ghetto trust me i've seen worse) I tried looking on ebay to see if there would be any custom mounts that would bolt right up but no luck, I assume most of you have resolved this one way or another, so how did you?

Third: dash kit, all I found was a single din dash kit in a catalogue from an auto sound shop, they said it would be impossible to get a double din face plate bezel thing (or whatever the proper name is, you know what i'm talking about) that bolts right behind the cup holder and on the ashtray track. Temporarily I just went and broke certain parts off so the head unit would fit through but I can't stand the way it looks, what have you guys done about this?

And last! Roof racks, my roof is plain, I don't even have tracks or anything just an average joe plain roof, how would I go about installing a roof rack on this baby? I work at autozone and I started searching in the system and all I could find were the ones that pretty much clamp to the sides of the roof, but I feel skeptical about it. I still haven't had a chance to swing by a big bicycle shop, but my guess is that they wouldn't know much, hence I ask you guys.

New to this forum and subaru so don't flame me too much please lol. Cheers
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Re: Couple questions, and all about interior!

Post by Someperson »

We don't generally flame, but where are you located? I have a dark gray wagon seat i'm looking to get rid of
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
Ihada147
In Neutral

Post by Ihada147 »

Someperson wrote:We don't generally flame, but where are you located? I have a dark gray wagon seat i'm looking to get rid of
Located in south florida, fort lauderdale to be exact. But how would I be able to remove it anyways? The grey seat wouldn't work for me because my interior is peanut butter ish
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

But all of the hardware is present in mine, is it just the wire connection that is busted? Seats are held in by 6-8 bolts 14mm iirc seat back and base are separate in my 94. My fold downs are a diff style too. Forgot you said 93
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

You could try taking the plastic covering off the seat and see if that gives you access to the mechanism/wire. That's probably your best bet to see exactly what is broken and if you can replace the part individually. You should be able to snap the little plastic piece off and get to the bolts that hold the lap belt to the seat. Then that lower plastic piece should come off with some screws or snap off.

For the front speakers, you should be able to get any plastic speaker spacers and use them. The spacers will have holes that should align with the three holes in the door, and should also have holes that match up with the speaker mounting holes. If not, you just drill new holes in the spacer. I ended up making spacers out of 1" thick marine plywood to get the clearance I needed in the backside of the speaker between the window and magnet. But most off the shelf spacers should work.

For the radio, you really don't need a kit. The radio is a standard DIN setup, so you just remove the entire radio assembly, unbolt the radio from the cage, and put the new radio on. Typically you need to remove any bezels from the aftermarket head unit, but that's pretty easy. Since the stock radio is 1.5 DIN, I just use a small piece of black plastic trim to fill in the .5 DIN space. If you want to use a double DIN radio, you would just remove the pocket and do something similar to fill that .5 DIN opening at the bottom.

Not sure if that answers your question on the radio....if not, let us know.

A lot of the aftermarket racks clamp to the side roof rails. They should be fine like that. I'd check out yakima & thule.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Ihada147
In Neutral

Post by Ihada147 »

Legacy777 wrote:Welcome to the BBS.

You could try taking the plastic covering off the seat and see if that gives you access to the mechanism/wire. That's probably your best bet to see exactly what is broken and if you can replace the part individually. You should be able to snap the little plastic piece off and get to the bolts that hold the lap belt to the seat. Then that lower plastic piece should come off with some screws or snap off.
Thanks for the reply, and I tried everything pretty much, I even tried to somehow take the side plastic off ( like from the door all the way to the rear) to see if i'd get some access but nothing, I thin the only solution would be to rip the seat open or somehow manage to detach that loop that the seat locks on. I even attempted to get the back of the seat off but I only managed to pull some of the carpet off... You know what? I'm posting a picture
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

I'll take a look and mine and see if you can remove the seats latching system without dropping the seat down.
Josh and I think that if you remove the cover around the latch handle you should be able to open it again which would be much easier.

I'll second the yakima or thule option, I have the factory rack and its not as good as it looks and its very low which means that it makes tons of wind noise with a sunroof simply tilted up
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
Ihada147
In Neutral

Post by Ihada147 »

I'm waiting on a shop to come pick up the car, but I was able to take some pictures of my attempt. Here they are:

I have a clue on how to do it, the problem is that there's no room to even squeeze in there
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think I misread your original post and thought it was the front seat. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Is there any room to get a screwdriver or something into the latching mechanism to lift up the latch? I'll have to look at my Impreza wagon to see if I can come up with any ideas that may work....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Ihada147
In Neutral

Post by Ihada147 »

The mechanism is with a wire that comes up through that hole that has a threaded tip which usually a knob would screw onto, but that wire isn't there and that's the problem. Right now it just seems like the only way would be to rip the seat
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmmmm, that sucks!

And you can't get to the latch mechanism at all?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT