Looking for some help as about the Ej22

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mraolguy
In Neutral

Looking for some help as about the Ej22

Post by Mraolguy »

Okay so i have a Ej22 and it was using around 10Psi of boost and was running kinda slow but not that bad and now it is taking only 5psi kinda feels like a limp mood, not only that but now when you put your foot into it, it dose nothing you feel no power increase. the only time that i really feel a power increase is when its cold out and i'm taking off in 1st. i looked for vacuum lines and found nothing out of place i would like to have this car run right i hear their kinda fast little cars. so that's the problem i have so the other Q i have is is Ej22 turbo any fast or am i wasting my time on it. is there any MOds for them like bigger fuel pumps that i can look up or is there any injectors that i can go out and buy and how much of the EJ motors can you put together i keep reading about people liking the EJ20? so really i'm looking for anything and everything that you guys know about this Ej22 and the issue that i'm having. give me all the info that you guys have =) have a nice day and thanks for the help =)
SurlyOldManMN
In Neutral

Re: Looking for some help as about the Ej22

Post by SurlyOldManMN »

Cleaned your MAF lately?
Mraolguy
In Neutral

Post by Mraolguy »

SurlyOldManMN wrote:Cleaned your MAF lately?

ah its been a while thats for sure, ill try that and let you know how it works any other Info you can give me, do you know if you can put the Ej20 heads on the Ej22?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is the check engine light on? Even if it's not, I'd suggest checking the ECU to see if any codes are stored. Instructions are on my site: www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

Also, I'd suggest checking all the vacuum lines that go to the boost related sensors on the passenger strut tower. Here is a diagram which shows where they should go.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuum/

Start with those and let us know what you find.

If you have other unrelated questions, like whether the ej20 heads will work on the ej22, please create another topic.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mraolguy
In Neutral

Post by Mraolguy »

i cleaned the MAF and it seems to be running a little better still only hitting 5 Psi, the check engine light dose not turn on with out the plug under the dash plugged in then it gives me flash codes which send me to the sensor in which you where talking about before Boost sensor so i will replace that this weekend and let you know how it is after that =)
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Though you can get engines online for about 1000 or less try keep that EJ22T. These engines are very stout and are becoming hard to find. These were meant to see boost. However a TMIC at the very least is very important before increasing boost due to increased temps during combustion which can result in a blown engine. For some reason Subaru didn't thing Americans didn't need some sort of intercooling.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Mraolguy
In Neutral

Post by Mraolguy »

Oh much boost can they take and with so much boost do you have to up the Pis In fuel? i also have a TMIC in which i will be putting on very soon, that is as long as my blow off valve ever gets here -_-
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How much boost is dependent on the support mods and how much air flow is coming into the engine. Once the MAF sensor maxes out, you no longer are getting proper air fuel ratio control.

These engines may have more HP potential, but unfortunately the control system does not. The MAF, ECU, and injectors do not allow for adding much more boost without having to do something.

The best solution out there right now IMO is the Rob Tune ECU
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm