Looking at another SS...

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Uhrinator
In Neutral

Looking at another SS...

Post by Uhrinator »

Hey all, I used to be on here when I had a '92 SS 5MT that I got for $450! (TheUhrinator, forgot password and lost e-mail...) (PO thought the head gasket was blown but it was only the coolant tank... yeah.) Anyways, by dad had bought that car and when I moved out he sold it for $1000, can you say face palm... Ok so now I've been away for three years working with my baby Wall-e, yes like the movie. He is my 1989 jeep cherokee. Anyways, its time for another car, and hopefully one with better milage, getting 13.3 average currently, although that is thanks to 33's... Ok, on to the real subject, I found this for $2000. The thing looks nice, white with little rust. One thing I don't quite like is the home made boost controller but never mind that, I live in spokane, about 300 miles away. My question is, what would you do? I has a lot of the parts I was planning with my other leggy. That MT also scares me. I don't know if I should just keep it and fix it or scrap it for an STi 6MT or what. Let me know what you think about it all. Oh and suggestions on price as well. Or if anyone sees another ss, I really want another one. I really prefer the MT, but I guess its not mandatory, but a sedan is, my girlfriend will not tolerate a wagon, no matter how many sleeper pictures I show her... Thanks!!!
Ben
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking at another SS...

Post by Legacy777 »

Ben,

Welcome back to the BBS. If you'd like I can reset your pw on your old account, just let me know.

I guess my one concern would be the swap and was it done properly and well. The wrx 5spd should be ok for the power the turbo legacy is putting out as long as you don't beat on it. I can't see any pictures on the post, so can't really comment there. Hopefully some others will chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I'd ask, why doesn't he just fix and keep it. I personally think you can talk him down, at least a price of a transmission. Don't just set your heart on this one. There are more out there, just depends on how far your willing to travel to get one. When I bought mine it had a few mods already done. But me personally, I wish I would of gotten it completely stock.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Uhrinator
In Neutral

Post by Uhrinator »

Joe- thanks for the advice and I was thinking the same thing. I really wish I had my ok one back so I could continue. But oh well that's past. I think I'm going to keep looking, the new car for us isn't an immediate need. I'm going to keep looking.
Josh, thanks for the offer to reset my pw but don't worry, it only had like 20 posts and nothing else. I had the same thinking about the mechanic work. Now that I've been looking around again, and am realizing that there are a lot of extra parts with a wrx transmission swap, I think I would rather take that on myself. I've always had a built not bought mindset. Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure I'll let you know how it turns out.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Sounds good and good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you pick up in the future.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Uhrinator
In Neutral

Post by Uhrinator »

Ok joe, I don't know if this is fate or something else but I just found a shell in golden and an engine in Lakewood.... Well I think I'm going to be thinking really hard About this one. I'm going to contact both of them and see what I have to work with.