Driveshaft question

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jsun
In Neutral

Driveshaft question

Post by Jsun »

Hey guys, I'm in need for a drive shaft for my 5mt swap. I have a legacy turbo tranny and the rear diff. Is their any other driveshafts from other models from Subaru that will work instead of the stock 5mt legacy Turbo driveshaft? I'm having difficulty locating one here. Apparently the stock length is 33.5" flange to flange. Any help would be great!
lucas
Third Gear

Re: Driveshaft question

Post by lucas »

just a 5 speed na shaft will work probably any subie 90-98 would work (5 speed)
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Just 1st gen legacys, Josh said the 2nd gen was off by a minor amount. Driveshaft could pop out of tranny like it did to me :(
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Jsun
In Neutral

Post by Jsun »

so mike-tracy if it was short and popped out couldnt i just get a spacer machined to make up the difference? like sandwitch it between the propshaft and diff?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't think so. That's a pretty tight fit. Machined perfectly. I think if you did that you could possibly be unbalanced and weaker since I think part of the diff side goes inside the driveshaft.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Let me clarify - I was talking about an SVX with an unknown driveshaft and a 5mt. The rear part of the driveshaft had a very nice machined spacer between the DS and the rear diff. That part didn't move. The forward section, in front of the "donut bearing" slipped out of the tranny. I believe the front half of the driveshaft would have needed to be extended 1/8-1/4" - and the shop that did the work didn't extend the front at all.

So as Kimo mentioned, there are balance issues to deal with, but a competent shop could extend it correctly and balance it perfectly. This adds up to $$ in shop labor though. The spacer I mentioned above was ~$100, a very fine and balanced piece.

I vote you try to find a 1st gen 5mt wagon or sedan DS - you'll come out ahead money wise, and potentially headache wise too, imo.
Jsun
In Neutral

Post by Jsun »

Very true, I would agree with the balancing issues.

So just to clarify, I could use any 5mt driveshaft from either a legacy wagon or sedan N/A non turbo from the years of 90-94 possibly up to 98? I've seen a few N/A 90-94 leggy 5mt for sale here.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Let me clarify a few things.

Other than the 90 and some 91 MY Legacies all the drive shafts are two pieces. The rear section of the 91-94 MY Legacies (turbo & non-turbo AT & MT) are the same. The front section is what is different between the AT & MT cars.

On the 95+ Legacies the rear differential is different (longer) so the rear section of the drive shaft (both AT & MT) is slightly shorter. However, the front section of the MT equipped cars should be the same.

So, assuming you currently have a two piece driveshaft you "should" be able to use the rear section from your AT driveshaft with the front section of a 95+ Legacy MT driveshaft.

My 6spd swap details thread has more info & pics regarding the driveshaft differences.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49917
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jsun
In Neutral

Post by Jsun »

ahh ok gotcha josh. ill look into that, and confirm if i do indeed have a 2 piece. i should mines a 93
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, you should have a 2-piece driveshaft.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Sorry to hijack, but is there a difference between a 90 Legacy N/A drive shaft and a 90 Legacy Turbo, both being automatics?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

There's no such thing as 90 turbo auto ;)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

My obliviousness is amazing sometimes... :/

I thought there were 90-91 turbos but were just really rare. I forgot my friend's car was a turbo but was a facelift car. Thanks anyway. :) Makes my drive shaft search easier.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I was poking fun... :) There were 89-90 turbos overseas, here we got them in 91 as the SS only. TW started in 92 of course.

Anyways, All 90-94 legacy auto driveshafts are interchangeable. 1 piece? 2 piece? Wagon/sedan, turbo/na? Yep. :)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Ok, so I'm not completely losing it. I just checked with him and he had a 91 SS. This is where I have my issues. I have a 90 auto wagon with a one piece and a bad carrier bearing. In trying to find a replacement, I was given a free two piece from a 94 that doesn't fit due to being too long and carrier mount being 2 inches toward the rear. I also have another one piece that I believe came from a manual since it is 2.5" too long and the rear flange is different. Actually, come to think of it, that may be an 01-03 shaft.. ? (Found it laying next to an 01 LL Bean Outback, but the outback was sitting on the ground in the JY and I couldn't tell if it had it's DS or not.) Anyway, currently awaiting a call back from a drive shaft place on getting my original one cut and combined with the spare one piece I have to get a working drive shaft so my car can be back on the road after it's one year restoration. lol

I've been browsing on here before asking anyone but I can't find a definite answer as to what cars I can look for to get a drive shaft without modifications being required. When I bought this car I had SEVERE torque bind, but since all the work I've done including replacement tires, that issue is gone entirely. Now, the only problem I have is the DS hitting the bottom of the car and the right front tire moving around (transverse link bushings already on the shelf to be replaced). Does anyone have a definitive list of where I can go for this?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

All the first gen Legacy drive shafts are compatible if they are for the same transmission type. All AT driveshafts 1 piece or 2 piece are compatible. Same goes for the MT driveshafts. The rear section of the driveshaft is the same length between the MT & AT driveshafts. The front section is what is a different length.

If you have a driveshaft that has a different rear length (shorter), it's from a newer Subaru.

It sounds like the 94 driveshaft is for a MT car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

So even if I originally had a one piece, I can use a two piece from an auto from the same generation and the carrier bearing and rear flange will all mount in their respective locations? I ask this because the other one piece DS I have that is the same design as mine has a different rear flange.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, as long as it's from the same generation, it'll fit. If the one you have doesn't fit, it's likely from a different generation. I am making the assumption that the components on your car are stock.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Ok. Thanks. Yeah, I believe all parts are stock. Looks like it at least. The previous owner was using the car as a mail carrier and didn't put a whole lot of maintenance into it. He had all different tires with all different tread patterns and depths as well as a bad drive shaft that all combined was causing nightmarish torque bind. On top of that, the rear brakes were metal to metal, engine had several leaks and only water in the cooling system, plus suspension bushings that had seen better days. Finally ready to get this car on the road again and can't find a drive shaft to save my life.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Check out my 6spd swap thread, I've got pictures and measurements of the different driveshaft lengths that you can compare yours against.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49917
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT