Which transmissions can I swap into my legacy?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RileyD
In Neutral

Which transmissions can I swap into my legacy?

Post by RileyD »

I have a 1994 legacy L that I just did a ej22et and I'm not sure how much longer the tranmission will hold up with all the beating I will be doing on it.

What 5 speeds will be a direct swap to the 5 speed I already have in? I know at some points they have changed the 5 speeds. I just want to know if I can go to the junk yard and pull something like a 1995 impreza 5 speed out and put it in here because they are a dime a dozen in the junk yards around here.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Which transmissions can I swap into my legacy?

Post by cj91legss »

Your 1994 L will likely have a 4.11 final drive. It's a cable push style clutch setup. Yes these transmissions are a dime a dozen. Any pre 98 4.11 cable transmission will swap right in from a Legacy. When shopping for a transmission you will wanna have some sort of internet access so you can search the code on the bellhousing right by the starter.

Many Impreza cable transmissions are 3.90, so if you were to swap one of those in you would also want to make sure you get the rear diff as well.

If you wanted to get a beefier transmission, you could get the JDM 4.11, but that's a hydrolic pull style clutch, so you would also have to source clutch master and slave cylinder, get a 02-05 wrx clutch kit (or 91-94 turbo legacy) and you will also have to get the whole pedal assembly.

There's been others that used the JDM 4.44 transmissions, if you go this route it can handle some power as well. Likely problem with this swap is your speedometer can be slightly off.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which transmissions can I swap into my legacy?

Post by Legacy777 »

This thread from the sticky in this forum confirms the 94 non-turbo MT will have a 4.111 FD ratio. You should be able to confirm by looking at the sticker on the rear diff.

Just a note about using the newer 5spds and the corresponding matching rear diff. The newer rear diffs are slightly longer and as a result the rear section of the drive shaft is a little shorter. I talk a little bit about the differences in my 6spd swap thread.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49917

It's not a huge deal as you can just swap the driveline from the newer 5spd, but just something to keep in mind.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm