4eat advice needed

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danny-G
Fourth Gear

4eat advice needed

Post by Danny-G »

I'm gonna be tackling a centre "diff" swap in my wagon pretty soon. Is it as simple as pulling the tail housing and swapping? Or is it more than that? Any input is great, I'm not too sure what to except. Is there a seal I'll have to replace or do I use gasket maker stuff?
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: 4eat advice needed

Post by cj91legss »

I got away with using RTV. It's not too hard to tackle the task if the transmission is out of the car. If it's in tho, you may have some issues. Here's a pic of the end of a transmission already removed. In this pic the Gear selector is already removed, it's just a rod that has a funky end on it that rotates between the 3 shift rods inside the transmission.

On the front of this housing, there are several 14mm bolts you will have to remove. On the top of the diff housing you have to remove 4 12mm bolts (red) to access the 10mm bolt (yellow) that secures the shift rod into place (there's this awkward looking arm that bolts to the rod to stop it from rotating too much.) Once you remove the 10mm bolt you can rotate the rod enough to bang on the housing to separate it from the transmission. You can use a pry bar at the same time in spots, just keep in mind it's aluminum. Don't score your gasket surfaces. Also pay CLOSE attention to the shift rod when your sliding this out so you can see where it's making contact with the shift rods inside the housing, this way you can get an idea of how they're supposed to go back together. You'll see the funky end i mentioned. Once you get the housing off, you can just slide the center out and swap in a new one. Clean gasket surfaces, and put it all back together. Here's the more tricky part tho, the shift rod. You'll have to rotate it a certain way to get it to align inside the other 3 shift rods inside the housing. once you think you have it put a bolt in the housing and grab a screw driver and try to go threw the gears to make sure you got it right. After that, everything else is a breeze.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

i assume your talking about converting your transmission back to awd right i will upload a video in the morning to show you exactly what to expect i just happen to be rebuilding mine and if i didnt get so side tracked with the holidays it would have been 100% put back together last night
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Mine doesn't totally like rwd, it likes sending power to the front diff instead of the rear. I could go back to awd easily, I just had to put the front cvs in and reconnect a wire. I want to change the multi clutch plate piece, the thing the duty c solenoid controls.
Danny
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Om9jr1 ... e=youtu.be

sorry i was late putting this up just really busy today one other thing do you plan on ever making it awd again because if not it would be a better idea to weld up the transfer unit so it will never wear out because it no longer requires clutches and you can use rtv to seal the two halfs back together but i would get the paper gasket if you can
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I'm planning on welding up the old one, so I'll have the option of permanent rwd if I choose it. For the time being, I'll leave a non welded one in if I decide I want awd again.
Danny
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Danny,

There technically is not a center diff on the automatic transmissions. it's a multi plate clutch pack setup. CJ's notes above were referring to the MT.

For the AT you can remove the rear tail housing with the trans still in the car and should be able to get access to the MPT clutch pack assembly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

My apologies, I gave you directions for a 5mt.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT