AWD Fuse

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Fugazi
In Neutral

AWD Fuse

Post by Fugazi »

I heard if you remove the fuse for AWD, you basically get a front wheel drive car. I was thinking about trying this out, I'm kinda tired of always having perfect traction :roll: , anyone know if this will work or if it will harm anything?
1993 Legacy L AWD, 5 speed, 201k miles
KYB GR-2, K&N, snorkusectomy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You don't remove a fuse......you stick one in.

If you have an automatic....yes you can stick a fuse in the AWD fuse holder, and it will disable the AWD, and all you will have is FWD.

It will still turn the driveshaft a little....and won't make gas mileage any better though.....but ya you can put the fuse in and drive around like that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Fugazi
In Neutral

Post by Fugazi »

My car is a stick. Would it still work?
1993 Legacy L AWD, 5 speed, 201k miles
KYB GR-2, K&N, snorkusectomy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No!

You do not have an AWD fuse holder. There's no way to disable the AWD on a manual tranny.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I read in a subaru manual once that you shouldn't drive with the fuse in, it is only if you need to tow the car and if doing so it shouldn't be for more than 20 or 30 miles or something like that. I may be wrong but thats what I can recall

Mike
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Well, I know for one thing that THE WHEELS MUST STILL TRAVEL AT NEAR THE SAME SPEED.

For example, putting the fwd fuse in and testing on a two wheel dyno while the rear wheels remain still does damage the center diff (just not very much).
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I played with that thing on my '02 Impreza TS. It was fun :D . It's definitely a FWD car with that fuse in place. Spinning the wheels is no problem. In fact, it's kinda tough to avoid. We're more spoiled than most of us know. Flooring it from a stop directly into a sharp 90 degree turn is a normal thing for me. It's a little different without the AWD. My GF's Impreza L with it's mighty NA 2.2 can chirp the tires going inot second. And it's an auto :eek:!

My TS had 150-ish lbft of torque at 4k or so. I can't imagine what 180 lbft of torque at 2800 would feel like with just 2 wheels. I bet launching at 3200 would feel a little different.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.