How's this ej20g??

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Hinano
First Gear

How's this ej20g??

Post by Hinano »

My 90 n/a has a blown motor, how's this?? My transmission seems fine but since my linkage is blown I figured this would be worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-I ... 88&vxp=mtr
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: How's this ej20g??

Post by James614 »

Looks good to me, I got a swap just like that. In general the JDM engines are in much better shape than what you find here. Be forwarned that the ej20g has very little low end torque compared to an ej22 (more than what the 0.2l difference may suggest, these motors are cammed for 7000rpm+). But still a very fun, efficient, and reliable motor.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

You will need to check the final drive ratio, as it may not be the same as yours. If it is different, then you will need a matching rear differential.

The engine looks fine, and is easy to install in our early Legacies. You should only need a turbo front crossmember and a turbo exhaust. GC8 WRX parts should work for both.

Plan to get a Robtune to work better with our gas.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Hinano
First Gear

Post by Hinano »

Aww rear diff whaat ... Costs keep adding. Looks like this might turn into a summer project.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The unexpected costs are part of a swap. There will be more... but it shouldn't be bad. The stuff you need will mostly be cheap.

I spent $1600 shipped on my ej20g motor/trans, about an extra $300 for all the misc stuff to go from auto to manual, $280ish on the robtune (not required, but a very good idea), $100 on GD WRX coils, and about $350 on extra crap I didn't need trying to figure out why it wasn't running. There's some misc stuff like fluids, hose, for the install that I left out

The stock clutch was actually fine in mine, but I toasted it rather quickly as it didn't care for constant 7400rpm shifts at 15psi... I still have a hard time not driving like a high school kid with the way this powerband is :-/
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.