Running no front swaybar, more oversteer?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danteandsoob
First Gear

Running no front swaybar, more oversteer?

Post by Danteandsoob »

So I've seen on other subaru forums but not here,

Some people have run with no FSB attached and it help with understeer (made it more oversteer.)

Has anyone done this on this forum? I'm thinking of doing this for my upcoming autox event.

I do feel that the front rolls more, but I'm okay with that if if means I have more oversteer.
I do understand that have no FSB means that the suspension is not connected together and that I can lose max grip because there is nothing balancing the suspension together.

The sizes I have (front/back) is 18/18.

I also run higher front tire pressure, and lower rear pressure at events as well.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Running no front swaybar, more oversteer?

Post by James614 »

Its easy to get lots of oversteer in these cars without taking off the FSB. Ive never done it, because personally mine rolls more than I like as is, and it doesnt have an understeer problem. I could actually do with a bit less oversteer, but ofcourse each car and driver is different.

Its pretty easy to remove and install the bar in minutes, all you need is a 12mm and 14mm socket. Might wanna try running with it in the morning, then without in the afternoon to see if thats what you really want.

Keep in mind theres other ways to change the attitude of your car. Decreased rear camber and increased rear tire pressure can help induce more oversteer too.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Removing the front anti-sway bar will more than likely reduce front end grip and roll more, which will increase understeer.

Like James mentioned, you may want to give it a try beforehand in a non-competition setting. I would recommend doing your testing at low speeds and/or a parking lot where if you lose control it won't damage anything or anyone.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

Well I disconnected it a few weeks ago and felt like I gained more turn-in and with that, oversteer. I've seen on our forums that people have done this with positive effects, especially in autox.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

If that's how you want the car to handle, go for it. There really isn't a "right" way to setup your car to go around a corner, as long as you can control it and anticipate how it's going to behave.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I would leave the front bar on. You will lose way more in overall grip and transition speed than you will gain from the change in balance.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

What surface are you trying to run on? RallyX? AutoX? Track? Rally?

I run with no swaybars, but a stiffer gravel suspension for rally.