Ej22t swap

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Joeykaliman
In Neutral

Ej22t swap

Post by Joeykaliman »

Got a question for anyone who can answer so I'm doing a ej22t swap in my 93 I'm getting the ecu but what wires do I have to add how many are ther and anyone have a pin out I think that's all lol thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ej22t swap

Post by Legacy777 »

Check out this thread that was in the engine forum sticky. There are a lot of posts/info out there. Have you searched at all? If the link below doesn't help, try searching for a little bit and see if you find the info you need. If you still have specific questions, please let us know.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45769
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Rather than start a whole new thread for the exact thing, I'm hoping you dont mind I borrow some space here. I am in need of some timing retard. my 1993 non turbo ecu isnt doing me any good. I'm running all na intake wiring and injectors and a td04, with a rrfpr and supporting pump. I finally got a turbo ecu out of a 1994 for $20. and I need to know what I need to do to perform the conversion with minimal downtime, as its my daily driver and I have infant twin girls haha.
so my questions are:
-how does one swap the cps and cam position sensor pins,
-the turbo ran a boost solenoid right? what do I do here?
-my plastic maf should work?
-is there any other wiring modifications?
-will my na injectors still work ?
-
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

bcmaxx wrote:Rather than start a whole new thread for the exact thing, I'm hoping you dont mind I borrow some space here. I am in need of some timing retard. my 1993 non turbo ecu isnt doing me any good. I'm running all na intake wiring and injectors and a td04, with a rrfpr and supporting pump. I finally got a turbo ecu out of a 1994 for $20. and I need to know what I need to do to perform the conversion with minimal downtime, as its my daily driver and I have infant twin girls haha.
so my questions are:
-how does one swap the cps and cam position sensor pins,
-the turbo ran a boost solenoid right? what do I do here?
-my plastic maf should work?
-is there any other wiring modifications?
-will my na injectors still work ?
-
More info is avl. on here as well:

-how does one swap the cps and cam position sensor pins,>>> get a fine-tipped screwdriver or make one....again search on here as if you don't do it right you'll mess up the plastic pins.
-the turbo ran a boost solenoid right? what do I do here? >>>> If you use the DROPPING RESISTOR from an AT car, it plugs in and keep the BCS quiet (No CEL).
-my plastic maf should work? >>>No, it won't. You'll need the METAL one from a turbo OR a '90-'91 NA Manual Legacy.
-is there any other wiring modifications?>> Check the link Josh provided and I created.
-will my na injectors still work ?>>No...280cc vs the 370cc the Turbo ECU is looking for....It might run but you're scaring me. (and your twins!).....the RRPR may help, but that's not in my KB.

Additionally, I don't know what you're doing for the Pressure exchange solenoid and MAP Sensor that are part of the turbo sensors....check the Legacy ECU pinout for all the wiring marked w/a " T " to see what you should have.

GL<
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'm just going to suggest getting the turbo injectors. Can the N/A ones be made to work by playing fuel pressure? Yeah maybe. But achieving that is at odds with a daily driver that needs to avoid extended periods of downtime, and the turbo injectors will perform better and have better fuel economy than anything you'll get by playing with the FPR.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Thanks guys. Im on the hunt for some electrical goodies then and a maf. I have the subaru master terminal kit which should come in handy. Ill try the stock injectors first. I have a complete turbo intake with wiring and injectors if i need. The twins love it. One goes whoosh the other goes brumbrumbrum haha.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Would you mind taking a few pictures of the subaru master terminal kit?

Where did you buy it from and how much was it?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I was playing with an online calculator, and to make up the difference in injector flow you would need to nearly double fuel pressur, which IMO sounds like a buttload of possible issues with the fuel system. Does your FPR allow static pressure that high? Will our fuel lines even hold up to that? Even STIs and most fully built cars still only use stock or near-stock fuel pressure. Typically fuel pressure is only bumped by a smallish percentage to give some headroom.

I'll just warn that with the ECU expecting larger injectors than what you have, it will run very lean and the potential exists for huge engine damage from detonation if you don't nail it on the first try (and when does that ever happen with tuning?)

I would change my prior statement to just say the turbo injectors are mandatory with a stock turbo ECU unless you have some sort of control over fuel flow (beyond adjusting pressure).
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Legacy777 wrote:Would you mind taking a few pictures of the subaru master terminal kit?

Its in my dealer stock. I can price it monday
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

James614 wrote:I was playing with an online calculator, and to make up the difference in injector flow you would need to nearly double fuel pressur, which IMO sounds like a buttload of possible issues with the fuel system. Does your FPR allow static pressure that high? Will our fuel lines even hold up to that? Even STIs and most fully built cars still only use stock or near-stock fuel pressure. Typically fuel pressure is only bumped by a smallish percentage to give some headroom.

I'll just warn that with the ECU expecting larger injectors than what you have, it will run very lean and the potential exists for huge engine damage from detonation if you don't nail it on the first try (and when does that ever happen with tuning?)

I would change my prior statement to just say the turbo injectors are mandatory with a stock turbo ECU unless you have some sort of control over fuel flow (beyond adjusting pressure).
ok thanks for the heads up turbo injectors it is!!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

bcmaxx wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:Would you mind taking a few pictures of the subaru master terminal kit?

Thanks, I'd be curious what the part #, price, and what's all included :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Legacy777 wrote:
bcmaxx wrote:

Thanks, I'd be curious what the part #, price, and what's all included :)
wow https://subaru.service-solutions.com/Detail.aspx?id=551 $2900 thats kind of silly........pretty much just terminals and leads, no connectors
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that's an OUCH alright.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT