Changing wheel bearing with out a press

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallyak
Third Gear

Changing wheel bearing with out a press

Post by rallyak »

Disclaimer:What you are about to read and see is not the correct way of changing wheel bearings but these bearing can be changed with out a press.

First of all, I've replaced several of these bearings with this method with out issues. (Maybe a little blood shed)
Most of you guys know that OEM seals rule, so buy them and don't waste your money on cheep seals, I sourced mine on eBay.

Jack the car up an put it on stands and remove the wheels, brakes, and axle. Now you can remove the hub with a lot of brute force with a heavy hammer and a socket.
If you notice the extension will be destroyed so don't use your favorite one. It some times takes lots of beating but it will come out. Now you need to remove the races off the wheel hub and the knuckle and for this I use a air hammer. A side note, it's important to have a good supply of air, more psi the better and a min. of 185psi.
When removing the race out of the knuckle you need to remove the snap ring from the back side before you remove it. I use a grinder to make a groove so I can catch with the hammer and push it out.
At this point with it all apart you need to inspect the wheel hub where the race was to see if the race was spinning on the hub, if it has replace the hub.
Note: if your wheel is loose and its the bearing, replacement of the wheel hub is almost 100% required.

Now it time to reinstall everything, the tools needed are simple and not high tech but seam to work fine.
I'm using a 1" fine thread piece of all thread, washers ,socket, old wheel bearing races, and one piece from my ball joint press. This is how it looks all together after pressing the inner race.
And this is exactly what I used.

Now it's time to put the bearings in and the outer seal and don't forget to reinstall the snap ring. The wheel hub is next and almost the same set up except you need to make sure your pressing the hub on the bearing so the old race works great.
Be sure the plastic piece has a place to go that's where the old race works great.

Now the hub is on and need to put the inner seal in. The old inner race is almost the perfect size and you just tap it in.
Now you need to reinstall the axle and brakes and your done.

Each wheel took me 2-2 1/2 hours, but if I had a choice or more time I would take it to a place with a press and give then $50 to do it but then I would need a alignment. I really hate replacing wheel bearings.
Last edited by rallyak on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Changing wheel bearing with out a press

Post by James614 »

Nice wrietup. How much force did it take to crank everything down like that?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Changing wheel bearing with out a press

Post by rallyak »

All I used was a box end wrench, so not much. It actually goes in really easy with out too much force.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)