A/C fuse in engine compartment blows

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

stoc1173
In Neutral

A/C fuse in engine compartment blows

Post by stoc1173 »

I've been fighting my a/c for a while now. Finally it quit. Everything checks out including pressure switches, relays, clutch ... I found the a/c 10A fuse blown, replaced it and it immediately blew again. Tried a 20A fuse, Blew! Jumped the a/c clutch to the battery through an ammeter, Works fine, draws less than 3 Amps. Where do I go from here?

92 Legacy AWD wagon 5MT
1992 Legacy AWD Wagon 5MT. Original owner. BBS wheels, KYB shocks, Ceramic brakes. Loving every minute of it!
stoc1173
In Neutral

Re: A/C fuse in engine compartment blows

Post by stoc1173 »

Thanks for the tip. I pulled the whole thing apart, inspected every wire and connection and found nothing that raised suspicion. then I pulled all the relays, reconnected the negative battery terminal and started the car. The fuse was still good. the instant I hit a/c it blew even with the relays were still out!. I'm pulling my hair out. Could a bad controller cause this? I have a different one coming in any day now.

Separately, I replaced the relays, pulled the fuse, jumped the compressor to the battery and it blew cool wonderful a/c through the vents even with the fuse removed.
1992 Legacy AWD Wagon 5MT. Original owner. BBS wheels, KYB shocks, Ceramic brakes. Loving every minute of it!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A/C fuse in engine compartment blows

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you ever get this resolved?

This is for the 90 Legacy, but may give you some additional troubleshooting routes.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... g_Diag.pdf
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm