Intermittent low idle, almost wants to stall

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Intermittent low idle, almost wants to stall

Post by chrisshara »

I sold my car and my friend is stating that the engine wants to stall. Almost stalls but the idle kicks back up. Before I sold the car, I replaced the battery, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, TPS, knock sensor, coolant temp sensor and sending unit catalytic converter. In a nut shell, I feel like I have replaced everything on this engine that might be related to this type of symptom. I do know the car sat for awhile before I sold it and I do need to get the car back from him to recharge the battery. But he doesn't have any issues starting the car. Except for this relay that goes batty, intermittently, when trying to start the engine (Key position #3). And when this relay goes batty, the starter will not crank the engine over. I'm wondering if its a fuel pump relay of ECM relay ? Do either of these relays have anything to do with the starter ? Boy the electical concers I could sove on my own if I only had a ETM for my own car. Does anyone have any advice on where I could source a 'quality' service manual and ETM ! I feel like I'm so helpless. But I'm not I just don't have access to the informational resources I need.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: Intermittent low idle, almost wants to stall

Post by TurnNburn »

Sounds like you have a few different problems that probably aren't related. Your low idle is probably a IAC going bad, tell your friend to try taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning. That will help in the short term. There are several threads on here about cleaning IAC's. (idle air controller) if your not familiar. I have done this several times and if its just sticky it will make things run smoother, but if its failing electronically this may not help at all.

As far as the relay is concerned, do you know which one it is? He should just replace it if its giving him crap.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intermittent low idle, almost wants to stall

Post by Legacy777 »

I've replied to your other thread about where to find factory service manual information.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm