Original dash lights

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

karol1001
In Neutral

Original dash lights

Post by karol1001 »

Hey.

A few of my interior dash lights have gone dark so I am planning to adress this matter by swaping all bulbs at once. I have a question though - does anyone have a photo of how the I-gen Leggy dash lights looked when new? Maybe a photo from a catalogue or something?

What I need to know:
1. The speedo cluster is lighted in green but my central console is like white/yellow. Was it originally like that? I suspect that the original color of the heater switches was green as well. I saw a disassembled heater panel and the bulb has a color cover on it which goes pale after some time - that is why I suspect that it should be green.

2. Does the hazard button have a backlight in it? Even in my old Toyota the hazard lights had a backlight of some kind and in my Leggy non of the dash buttons/switches has a backlight (hazard lights, fog lights, rear window heater) - is that standard or can I fix that?

Any advice on how to approach an interior re-bulbing would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!
Karol.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Original dash lights

Post by rallyak »

Yes, I believe the hvac controls were green and the bulb condoms get cooked making them look yellow over time. The ones in the cluster I believe there just clear bulbs and the green come from the cluster. The reason why I say that is I replaced mine with clear ones and my cluster is green. On the hazard button, cruise, defrost, and some mirror adjust buttons have back lighting. And don't forget the ashtray light. The bulbs in those buttons you can buy at radio shack and the #272-1092.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
karol1001
In Neutral

Re: Original dash lights

Post by karol1001 »

Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of how the mirror adjust/defrost etc. look with the backlight? Can't find a picture like that.