Out to pasture?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Out to pasture?

Post by rallysam »

My NON-turbo wagon's chronic diseases are finally catching up with it. :( What do you think, guys? Is it time to put it out to pasture? Time to leave the Legacy community? Or time to invest a lot in a beat up old car?

1) Clutch Slips (I've adjusted the cable a couple times, now that doesn't help anymore)
2) Synchros worn out, but drivable
3) Valve seals leak (making it difficult to restart)
4) Possible erroding head gasket
(All of these problems started long before I started rallying it)

What do you think? Is my rally-beater beaten?

I only use it for rallyX's, not daily driving. I could always race my daily driver instead (00 Impreza 2.5 RS). The only reason I am reluctant to race the RS is because it is worth more and it is my baby - so I am reluctant to start beating up the body and undercarriage. After all, I have a tendancy to slide sideways through potholes and go "weed wacking!!!!" :twisted:

I'm in a quandry. Should I replace the clutch, do some head work, and keep it going? Thoughts?

For reference:
90 Legacy L Wagon AWD, 130k miles. blue book = $1800 (if I fixed it up)
00 Impreza RS, 75k miles. blue book = $10k
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Many people are doing "insert subaru vehicle here" conversion to WRX engines. Because of this fully dressed engines with good miles are for sale at good prices.

Used 5 speeds are pretty generic so a replacment should be easy to find, plus many of these swaps have the old transmisison included!

I suggest that you tear the engine and transmission out and replace it with a donor from a swap.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you do decide to put it out to the pasture.......and you don't have ABS........could I snag the proportioning valve from you......and if you have the larger 1 1/16" MC.....can I buy that off ya too?

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Dang! Vultures are circling your car already!!

I would lean towards a engine/tranny swap. Just look hard to keep your costs low. You'll love the car afterwards... especially if the engine designation ends with a "T".
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Hahaha, Josh, you never pass an opportunity...

I myself have similar ambitions also, is your front bumper still intact after all your rallyX'ing? If so I might be interested in it...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Vultures!!!! :D
'00 Impr RS - sold
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Dont know how much help this is but I will have an extra engine in good condition from a 90 legacy. Most likely all items attached including wire harness and ECU.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Well, how much you asking?

(I don't even want to think about what shipping would cost)
'00 Impr RS - sold
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Id guess about 400 to ship. Dont know about far the parts. Ill let you know once I get the new engine at my house.