Need a muffler

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drive
In Neutral

Need a muffler

Post by drive »

I’d like to buy just a muffler to improve the sound of my 91 legacy turbo. I don’t want something too loud or something that drones. I just want to hear the throaty boxer sound. Does anyone recommend anything that’s less then $80? Preferably something that doesn’t look to flashy and keeps the same stock look (2 ports instead of 1)

Anyone know the stock size?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

MRT makes one that is supposedly not too loud and has twin outlets. I think it's 180 or something like that.....don't quote me on that price. But that is the whole axle back unit.

I've been waiting for quite a while.....hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll have it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

$80? Not sure if you're going to be able to find one of the nice free-flow ones for that price, but you should probably check out the Magnaflow and Dynomax lines, as i've heard both of them in their 3" size and i really like them a lot.

Keeping the stock 2 outlet is probably going to cost a lot more than just having one, unless you get a split tip.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
-K-
Third Gear

Magnaflow

Post by -K- »

You should have no problem getting a dual out Magnaflow for around that price. With the cat and stock exahust it should not be too loud at all.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
rlima
In Neutral

Post by rlima »

Last year I installed a DynoMax UltraFlow ($90CDN) after my stock muffer had to be replaced. I liked the low, rumbling, unabrussive sound it made and you can tell you really have a boxer engine.
However, even though this is a free-flow muffler I found it wasn't loud enough for my liking, so I had a straight pipe installed from the flange to the back od the car and to me the car sounds great. Not overly loud at all.
I realize I am running the car illegally from the aspect of not having a muffler, but because the sound is way more subdued (combination of turbo, cat 2 1/2" stock pipe) than an in-line engine, I have even gone through many police ckeckpoints without any trouble at all.

Good luck.

Roy
1991 Legacy Turbo AWD Sedan (5sp M)
Real roads don't have centre lines!
petridish38
Second Gear

Flowmaster

Post by petridish38 »

I have a flowmaster 40 series delta flow on my legacy. I still have my catalytic converter and it doesn't sound that bad. All the people that have heard it have said that it sounds nice. It only cost me $100 for the muffler and installation, but the actual price of the muffler itself, i don't know. but it's obviously not that much. As for the stock look, you can buy a tip with dual outlets.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/web10 ... Muff4.html
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

how loud is it?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Has anyone seen, messed with or experienced the dual dtm that is often seen on ebay when you look under "subaru legacy"? I'm curious how it sounds.

I know that on Dave's sight a guy had it on one his his cars. It was the black legacy that had been slammed and had 17 inch rims, the whole car had been panted black with red highlights. I think it had a caption "speced to the max" or something like that.

I was just curious about the muffler.

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
petridish38
Second Gear

muffler

Post by petridish38 »

I have a 7MB video that shows how loud the muffler is if i could find a way to get it to you guys.
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

email it to me. I can host it for you.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CypherMax
In Neutral

I have the PERFECT exhaust for you!

Post by CypherMax »

If you live near a Midas go there and ask about the "Ravin" exhaust systems they have. I have one and it gives my 1991 L type the throatiest growl you'll ever hear. its not to loud like some of the fart cans you might hear around town but it comes damn close to a mustang with flowmasters. i highly recommend checking this exhaust out. http://www.goravin.com/

Tom
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Try straight pipe. It shouldn't cost more than 40-80 bucks for a shop to do it, and you can put on any tip you want. It's surprisingly quiet. right around as loud as a BPM exhaust for a WRX. really nice. gives that boxer growl you want. you can put one together for around 20 bucks if you do it yourself.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

got to remember....turbo's muffle the sound.....do a straight pipe on a n/a, it will be louder.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT