found: air to air IC

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subaruguy
First Gear

found: air to air IC

Post by subaruguy »

Well I found a guy that can get me the air to air IC off of turbo libertys. the coolest part is that hes asking $350 for the IC and $100 for all the plumbing. I just emailed him and asked how many more of these units he can get, hopefully its a bunch. I let you know how many he can get and I will post his email for all to order. well have a good day
Last edited by subaruguy on Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subaruguy
(a.k.a likestospdalot)I have tickets to prove it
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Ill sell you one for 100 usd with the on engine plumbing. You will need to supply a electric water pump and a radiator.
Plus shipping.
Mark
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I got mine for $160 shipped from NZ, no piping but it doesn't fit anyway.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

check this out its boostjunkies car with the same system im looking at
http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/newcar.html his seems to fit
Subaruguy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Jason's intercooler is air to air.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

oops, my mistake it is air to air not water to air.I was looking a a bunch of different pages when I was writing that got confused.I will correct it sorry.
Subaruguy
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Why do people say the air to water doesnt fit on the EJ22T? Or have I mis-read.
Mark
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I think the problems associated with the intercoolers are that damn coolant header tank that makes it impossible to fit an intercooler without relocating the tank. Adam was able to rotate the tank 90 degrees, but it still hits the intercooler.

Does anyone know whether a wrx header tank will fit on our cars? Theirs are closer to the airbox.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I have a 94 WRX intercooler that looks superficially almost the exact same as the STi one on your car, boostjunkie.

I haven't fit it to my car yet, but it looks like I'll be able to make it fit around the coolant tank if I just cut off one of the mounting brackets from the intercooler. The plastic inlet pipe ends at the wrong angle, too, but that's no big deal; I have some intake hoses from an XT turbo that look like they'll work well to adapt it after I cut a bit off the end of the plastic pipe.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

vrg3, lemme know if you need any help with figuring the mounting of the unit to your car. I've looked at other alternatives, even with the stock mounting point and can find no way for the intercooler to fit without doing the modification that Adam did. I might try making a bracket to move the tank to the stock wrx location, but I need to set a day to do a coolant flush since the coolant will be leaked out anyway.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool, I will... I'm trying not to do any performance mods until I get my stupid misfire-at-idle problem solved. I thought it was a vacuum leak so last weekend my brother and I took apart the whole intake (which is when I looked at how the intercooler would fit) and replaced any questionable hoses and replaced all the dumb squeeze-to-release clamps with real worm-drive hose clamps. No difference, though, I still have the problem. My new theory is that my valve timing is slightly off. Hopefully I'll check it this weekend.

So after that's cleared up I'll try to get the intercooler in. :)
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

well let me say theres nothing wrong with a little fabrication I'll do whatever it takes to mount mine chop,swap,cut or bend!
Subaruguy
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

What coolant header tank??? You mean the little plastic overflow?? If so, I just removed it from the intercooler and fabricated a little bracket on the firewall.
I dont know of any other "tank".

Is anyone with a 2.2T in Calgary want to try and fit the intercooler?

Mark
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

Its the little tank that is kinda shaped like a # 1. if your looking at the engine its on the top right hers a pic http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/newcar.html
Its right next to the brake fluid resevoir
Subaruguy
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Ok ok.. Now I remember. The EJ20T has that tank on the front of the motor beside the power steering pump.

That would be a problem.
Mark
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

The biggest problem with the stock tank besides not fitting is that they break and if it's not broken or leaking just wait it will. We have a Aluminum tank with different fittings that will fit and it takes care of the breaking issue also.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

milehi, do you think you could try to test fit a wrx tank in the wrx stock location on a turbo legacy? I don't have access to the tank and I don't wanna buy one just to see if it'll work but I figure you guys got a lot of those pieces "lying around" with all of your project cars.

mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

We don't have a WRX tank around the only complete WRX motor we have ever had went into a airplane complete. I think I looked at doing such a thing and for some reason dicided it wouldn't work or wouldn't work well. Besides anything connected with a WRX seems to go for big bucks used or new. We do have one WRX but it was the one that donated the engine. This one was totaled when someone drove it off the transport truck upper level when it had ten miles on it I wonder where he is working now?
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

When relocating the coolant tank on top of the engine... is it necessary to keep it as the highest point in the coolant system? If I mount it lower where the battery used to be, is that a problem? I don't really want to but I don't really have a choice, it seems like a real good location to bleed off air bubbles in the system where it is.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)