Subaru=torque, Toyota=well...

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Subaru=torque, Toyota=well...

Post by entirelyturbo »

I work in parts at a Toyota dealership, so I rarely get to drive one of the new cars sitting on the lot. Well today they needed an extra person to move a car about a half-mile, so I was anointed. It was a Camry XLE, loaded with everything except V6, a 2.4 4cyl with 160hp IIRC. This car was so new, I was probably the first person associated with the dealer to ever drive it. 5 miles!

So, knowing what I do about properly breaking in engines, I tried to be gentle on it, since no one else at that dealer is :roll: . I pulled onto a 45-mph road and accelerated gently, but the car wasn't going anywhere, so I gave it a little more, nothing. I nudged it just a little more, and it downshifted to 1st and redlined....

I wasn't upset (it's not my car :twisted: ), but I am surprised that more people don't appreciate the torque-happy boxer engine design.... My car feels like it has way more torque, even though I know the Camry has more. It might be an issue of auto vs manual but I'd think a car manufacturer by now should be able to make an auto just as responsive as a manual...

Alls I know is I'm sticking to my torque-pig Subaru :D !
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

I think it might be the AWD factor it makes you feel it in the seat of your pants more. I had a 93 sedan with an auto and when compared to all my freinds auto's mine felt like it hooked up much harder
Subaruguy
(a.k.a likestospdalot)I have tickets to prove it
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nope.....it's the boxer motor.

They are soo much torquier then most of the engines out there.

I drove a lancer for almost a month....that thing was a gutless dog when it came to torque...

My car felt like a race car when I got it back.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

My 2000 Acura Integra is useless below 4000 RPM...
Mark
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

My International ScoutII 304 has good torque down to about 2-300 rpm :D you can lug it down to hear each cylinder fire. But it doesn't like to rev past 4000 rpm.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
paf
First Gear

Post by paf »

i went to test drive a new 2003 legacy wagon and it didnt feel as torquy as my present one... weird considerint it has higher torque and HP
1990 FWD Legacy Wagon Base
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The torque/weight ratio is different.

90 Legacy LS Wagon auto 4WD: 23.28 weight/torque ratio (3190lbs/137ft-lbs)
02 Legacy GT Wagon auto AWD: 21.17 weight/torque ratio (3515lbs/166ft-lbs)

Yes, I'm bored :lol:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I had to drive my grandmother's camryu once. fairly recent... a '98or thereabouts. I was shocked at how little torque it had. I mean SHOCKED. the thing had no grunt at all. even my old '90 loyale felt like it had something on this car.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

I think that the 90-94 Legacies, FWD, AWD, Turbo, NA are all some of the best feeling cars I have ever driven. When I worked at a Subaru dealership, we had a Toyota, Nissan, Dogde, and Subaru all within one block under the same corporate ownership. We could drive any car on any of the lots. I never drove ANYTHING that I liked even comparably to our cars. I liked a unmodified 1992 Legacy turbo better than a WRX because I know that with proper tuning it can be just as or close to as quick. There is just something about Legacies. I have always noticed how our cars seem to have much better torque or at least better feeling torque than most cars out there.
Grant
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

Well,

Had to take my father-in-law's new town car one day, he had blocked my Subaru.

It was gutless for a v8 - some 4.6 thing

Reminded me of my really old Mustang back in my foolish days.

Funny how some car companies have changed their models significantly - ie, my 03 legacy is a very qiet car and my 91 is a little noisier - wind noise etc, and Ford can continue to throw out cars that are so dated and noisy.

My 91 was nicer to drive than his TC
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP