I need inspiration

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

I need inspiration

Post by magicmike »

I recieved my long block from my machinest about 2 months ago. I did some work on my intake manifold and have been sandblasting and painting brackets and such in my spare time. I am completly overwhelmed at this point. I have boxes upon boxes of parts everywhere and even a bucket or two also lol. My original plan was to completely restore the total engine so that it looked brand new. I am finding that unless I buy all new brackets and bolts and such it wont look how I want it to. I'm trying to accept that it wont look as good as I wanted it to unless I spend big bucks. I dont know, I guess I'm placing this post in hopes of some kind words of encouragement from my fellow suby enthousiests. Someone step up and give me a kick in the ass please lol

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mike.....coming from one perfectionist to what sounds like another......there is a point of diminishing returns. I have found that to be the case more often then I would like with my car.

I want my car to be perfect/clean/flawless......but it's a 13 year old car with 170,000 miles on it.......reality takes over and I do what I can to keep it in the condition it's in.

If I were you, I'd clean up what stuff you can clean up. The stuff you can't get perfect.....get it as good as you can....no need to replace it...unless of course it's not mechanically sound.

That would be my recommendation.....

I've fantisized about if we had a time machine or if someone bought a brand new turbo legacy......and basically just put it away in storage for 10-13 years......and what shape it would be in :) Pristine shape....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I know how it is. For some reason my car is mad at me the past few weeks. Im having 4 different problems at once! One is the ABS, one is the driveshaft, one is a bearing in something (I think its the PS pump) and another is a new rattle coming from the engine. Before that the car was perfect for along time.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

as much as I hate to say it, the best way to inspire yourself to make the engine look as new as possible would be to put it in a newer chassis. you could toss it into a later model GC impreza, or even a newer legacy. cars with blown motors are cheap. just swap it out. having a nice shiny new chassis to drop the motor in may be jsut what you mean. again, sorry for the heresy :p . I'm considering a swap myself at some point. either into my TS or into some GC impreza chassis (mroe nimble). FOr now I love my BC legacy, but I know her body will give out some day. and that day will be long before the engine gives out.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Legacy777 wrote:I want my car to be perfect/clean/flawless......but it's a 13 year old car with 170,000 miles on it.......reality takes over and I do what I can to keep it in the condition it's in.
I feel for you all. I am growing more and more anal about my car everyday. I have been trying these past few months to make my car as flawless as possible. And at this point, I think I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. My engine needs no more attention. All electronic gizmos are new and updated, and the motor runs better than any other 119k-mile motor I have ever seen in my life. I just need some other stupid stuff, and I'll be close to perfection, but something else will happen, it is inevitable...

Read my "I'm not very happy right now" post in the Drivetrain forum, vrg3 gave me some good advice about accepting your BC-BF Legacy for what it is and not fretting over every little thing because then you're really not having any fun...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

UPDATE

I installed my new factory oil pump and new factory water pump. Actually while I'm mentioning it, does anyone know if you need to use gasket dress on the factory water pump gasket? It is not a paper gasket but a thin metal of some sort with a rib in it. I thought it was weird so I didn't put any gasket sealer on it. If anyone knows any different I'd like to know. Thanks guys

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't know for sure, but I used black gasket sealant on mine because I found it nearly impossible to get the new pump and gasket on together. So I "glued" the gasket onto the block with the sealant, and then put the sealant on the pump and put it together...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok