IggDawg is (inter)cool. 900 setup.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

IggDawg is (inter)cool. 900 setup.

Post by IggDawg »

my attempts to sell the IC failed. which is alright cause I got motivated to get it to fit onto my car :D.

I put together the turbo-ic hose with some intercooler piping bits off a saab 9000. they have tons of aluminum piping and rubber adapters, and I was able to fashion my setup out of the all the pipes I took from one 9000. the turbo-IC hose was part of the saab 900's intercooler piping that I took along with the IC.

I found that the turbo and recirc valve noises were MUCH louder than before. I mean, I'd have to yell over the engine just to ask someone "isn't this fast??!!!!" and that's just not right. I think the noise is due to the IC being in direct contact with teh firewall and a few other things. I tried to put some foam of one sort or another wherever the IC was touching something else.

as for performance, it took the car a few minutes to get used to it. but the effect is VERY pronounced. much more dramatic than anything else I've done to teh car. she pulls much harder. it takes her a moment or 2 more to kick in unless I really punch it. part throttle response is a little laggier. I'm assuming this is due to the airflow needing more time to stabilize due to IC turbulence. Now I can't wait to get in a FCD and turn up the boost a little :D
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
GizMo22t
First Gear

Re:

Post by GizMo22t »

Just wondering if you have any pictures?
Mo
93touring wagon
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

of course I have pics :D . I just had to wait a day or so till I could get them onto the computer. so here y'all go:

"the money shot"

a closer look at the goods
Last edited by IggDawg on Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I was hoping to see a picture of your setup but everytime I try it say's "FORBIDDEN,you don't have permission to view image :? :cry: I would like to see pictures though because I was thinking of taking this route because getting a 93-96 sti tmic is proving to be a pain,and the saab 900 ic seems a nice cost effective set up.thanx
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I edited iggs post

copy & paste the link into another browser window.......new window.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

i still cant access this site even when i copy and paste :x page cannot be displayed.not sure whats wrong but it is getting me pretty anoyed.im not real computer literate so its probably my fault :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

anyone want to host these pics if they aren't working? digitalpose is dead or something so I tried webshots. but I guess they just suck. I want to show these off, but they aren't working. so that sucks.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: IggDawg is (inter)cool. 900 setup.

Post by 91White-T »

IggDawg wrote: I found that the turbo and recirc valve noises were MUCH louder than before. I mean, I'd have to yell over the engine just to ask someone "isn't this fast??!!!!" and that's just not right. I think the noise is due to the IC being in direct contact with teh firewall and a few other things. I tried to put some foam of one sort or another wherever the IC was touching something else.
If you think its loud now, try 17psi... :D
I personnaly love the fact that the turbo even drowns out my mufflerless exhaust above 10 psi!!
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I used a check valve as a FCD and ran her up to a bar of boost. :D . very quick. the timing felt like it was off a little, but it was still very quick indeed.

and hte whole "wicked loud" thing is quite nice. it's just my passengers that don't find it as enjoyable :D.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Last edited by Legacy777 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Igg, I'm glad to see you got that intercooler put on!! Enjoy the power!!

*wondering how long b/4 Igg wants more boost*
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

thanks for hosting them, Josh. I liked them till I can get them up on a free webhosting place. digitalpose still doesn't like me :(

junkie - yeah, I ran her up to a about 15 lbs for kicks. with the check valve on the MAP and a bleed type MBC, my mixture and timing was way off, but I still got real friendly with my seat due to the acceleration :D . I can't wait till morgie finishes his project and starts selling off copies :D .
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

ok that worked for me thanks josh/igg :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I fashioned a water spray kit yesterday. got a sprayer from a fiero. nice wide spray pattern. hooked it up with an inline pump that I screwed into the top of the washer reservoir. I have a push button on my dash that controlls it. I actually think it does some good!
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

You beat me to it!!

I've been sitting on this dual-pump reservoir I got a few weeks ago. Wired in a push-button switch in the center console but haven't wired in the pumps or installed the reservoir. Still need to take some time to get some l-brackets to attach the sprayers. Who knows when that'll happen :roll:

Good to see it might actually do some good.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Why not get a hobbs switch to turn on the sprayer pump at 5 psi or so?
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Igg, where did you get the center piece between the turbo and IC, the one with the recirc valve on it, I've been lookin for a way to put my valve back on, and that seems perfect.
Also I noticed from your pic that the IC is real close to the water tank, a word of caution here, if it's rubbing up against the outlets on the back, its only a matter of time before it breaks them off, mine did it in about a month or so. You can just unbolt the tank and turn it 90 deg to the right, and the hoses will hold it in place.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

the piece for the recirc valve is from an intercooled volvo turbo of some sort. late 80's to early 90's of some sort. I had to chop off some of it to get it to fit. there's a short arm that curves a lot on one side of the bung, and a long arm that's pretty much straight. chop off about the whole long arm except for an inch or so and it'll fit nicely. if you want to pay shipping I can pick the piece up from the pick-apart yard near me. you can cut it as you'd like. just a dremel will do.

the IC seems to be clearing all the hoses so far. right now I have a rubber bushing between teh IC and the water tank. I'll double check everything tho to make sure it's all nice n neat.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

I'll check the local yards first, if I can't find anything I'll let you know. Thanks
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold