Crankpulley choice?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Threshld1
Second Gear

Crankpulley choice?

Post by Threshld1 »

So im looking at picking up one of these new man-fangled lightweight pulleys as my stock one is walking all over the place and i have to replace my center t-belt cover anyways. So ive brought it down to these 3 options.

Perrin
Rallitek
Mr. Josh

They are all stock diameter and roughly the same weight in comparision to the stock pulley. Now i know that Mr. Josh's pulley is slightly cheaper and i would be helping his personal business. But the question of quality comes up. Is there going to be any better quality going with a perrin over a rallitek over a mr josh? thoughts?
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

i had a perrin lightweight pully, loved it, just sold it for $75, you can then them used very cheap.

dunno about the rest though.
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

they arent the same weight as the stock pulley... was that a typo?

someone on here just got a mr. josh one, said it was doing good. i personally havent bought any of those, but i plan to get one on the frankenstein im making.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

ok so i totally think that light weight pullies are awesome. i really really do. and if you can pick one up for "75" bucks i think thats awesome and more power too ya but..... and i dont mean to high jack this post. but has anyone dynoed these pullies and actually seen how much you gain on the dyno. with just a pully switch? obviously they are better. lighter weight= higher faster revs= more power. but are they really really worth it if you have to pay original price for them?
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

well, to me, it seems like something worth doing. especially if there isnt a lot of other aftermarket parts for the car.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Project_Legacy wrote:they arent the same weight as the stock pulley... was that a typo?
Im saying the 3 im looking at are close in weight when compared to the stock one.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

Threshld1 wrote:
Project_Legacy wrote:they arent the same weight as the stock pulley... was that a typo?
Im saying the 3 im looking at are close in weight when compared to the stock one.
they weigh less than half as much as the stock one. the mr josh one wieghs about 1.25 pounds. the perrin one is right around 2 pounds or less as well.

the stock one is over 4 pounds.

i dont think it gives much of a HP gain as it does an improvement in throttle response.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

there's already another thread that will answer all your questions http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=27085
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

as I mentioned in the other thread, I wasn't expecting a huge improvement in hp from this, but rather to free up a little power and help make the most of my other improvements.

And I would highly recommend the Mr. Josh pulley. Having held both a Perrin piece and this one, I must say that there is no discernable difference. The Mr. Josh pulley is very well made and well worth every penny I spent on it.

The only thing that may affect you is that the Perrin looks a bit better, with the Perrin logo and a few cutouts. The Mr. Josh piece is about as plain as they come, but very well made.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Subaru for Life
First Gear

Post by Subaru for Life »

Some of us replaced the stock with the lightweight only because the OE pulley was either failing (2 pieces) or the key way got enlarged. It definitely looked better and if it freed up a couple of ponies along the way, we'd considered it an added bonus.
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

I have a fwd 5 speed and I noticed a good difference, using a lightweight pulley. I have the $50 ebay one, im going with a used perrin or mr josh for my new motor. The ebay one is soft.