WRX IC install - no hammering - stock turbo

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

OK I'm back in London so I was able to re-post all the pictures. Some are on page 1 and some are on page 3.

I obviously can't fix the broken links in vrg3's and BAC5.2's posts, but at least my whole writeup is in one piece again.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

you used the 07/07 tmic correct?
[rallysam]
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

You mean 2007? No it was from a bugeye generation WRX
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yeah i meant 06/07 my bad.
ok cool thanks!
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

SubaruNation wrote:Image
gt2.5turbo wrote:th hose number is NAPA HOSE 8338. once you see the hose you will know what side to use. I cut my stock y-pipe after the ridges sith enought left to fit enough hose to fit in an exhuast pipe reducer to use to connect the hose to the turbo. the ypipe to exhaust piping hose was just a random rad. hose NAPA had that was big enough to fit over the ypipe. The site is down other wise id post a pic of the hose.

Yeah putting the ac under the pitchstop worked great
i know how to put everything together, im just worried about cutting another* 30$ hose the wrong way.

if anyone can interpret the red, that would be sweet.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

rallysam wrote:Update: Now with less ghetto! (but still a little)

Much thanks to gearboxtech.com (the shop Phil works at) because they
came up with most of this.

1) Completely kink-free intercooler piping from the stock turbo to the WRX intercooler. Woo hoo! Now it doesn't whistle like crazy anymore!
* 1 blue, silicone TurboXS 90 degree elbow coming off the turbo outlet (45mm diameter I think).
* 1 red Samco silicone y-pipe for WRX connecting to the intercooler ducts. Note - Cut off the bend that went to the WRX turbo if you are using the stock turbo.
* 1 metal pipe, mandrel-bent, 45 degrees
* for extra ghetto look, be sure to avoid matching your colors.

2) Oil catch can mounted to the fire wall. Aside from the normal benefits, I think my shop did it so they could get all the PCV lines out of the way so they could run the intercooler pipes the way they wanted to.

3) Coolant tank: started leaking. Replaced with a WRX tank and relocated it as described in this thread:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 332#151332
Here's a pic:

4) BOV adaptor: replaced Vikash's homemade plumbing adaptor with a TurboXS flange and 90 degree elbow. Note - if you want to keep the stock BOV - this elbow worked great. i just ran a hose from the elbow to the stock BOV. But, I eventually threw on a TurboVS recirc. valve:

5) A silicone sheet under the intercooler to stop it from banging around and wearing away as described in this thread:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=24497
on the mandrel bent pipe, what was the inner/ outer diameter?
and bump 10x i need this info stat!
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Im about to do this except for on a TD04 legacy, Which years of WRX intercoolers work, is this going to be "fun" for me?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

94SS_Canada wrote:Im about to do this except for on a TD04 legacy, Which years of WRX intercoolers work, is this going to be "fun" for me?
ha ha you're Fu>|d lol

dont start the install until you have all ALL the parts you need.
you dont have to relocate the coolant tank however. just so you know..

depends if you are doing TMIC FMIC or AWIC..

07/07 wrx TIMC is the easiest
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

I just want an air TMIC, im not doing it too much foor performance just because i f"ed my charge pipe and nothing will fit onto that fuckin TD04, so i want an 07 then, anyone got one for me over here in Canada, And i did start the install before all the parts i needed and yes my car is now sitting without an intake, everything is done it just needs a dammed tube from the turbo to the throttle body.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... 7+WRX+tmic

Would that one work well, also what are all those lines on it, just for extensions?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ya that one would work perfect.

by "tube from turbo to throttle body" you mean you need a intercooler right?
you've got a td04 so it will go right on
Last edited by SubaruNation on Mon May 19, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

I need to close this gap, with an intercooler, fuck it is tight.

And yes, i know it is ghetto
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

all our cars are ghetto. they are old.

and if you are using the td04/that turbo you have, then the stock 06/07 Y pipe should work and you should fit right in there.

the Y that comes on the 06/07 wrx tmic is bent at the end.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ya see the end of the Y in this shot?
bottom left side corner?
it should fit right onto your turbo.

if it doesn't you're going to have to fab-up some silicon/mandrel bent pipe somehow.

i think it should though
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So my Legacy Turbo is the exact same location as any other subaru turbo, Meaning if i got a wrx intercooler it basically be a direct bolt on, You have no idea how much your help means to me and it greatly appreciated!
FastRust
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ya no probs,

it all depends on what turbo you have for the most part.

if you had a vf11 like me, then you would need a mandrel bent 45* pipe and a 90* silicon hose.

lil' different but still the same idea.

you sir are golden :-D post up some shots when you get it in ;)
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

oh i will, look for them within the week

Hopefully......

And its A TD04, i thought i said that somewhere, the intercooler i should get by atleast wednesday and if things work out have it done that night, :? :?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ya i know you have a TD04.,
i've got a vf11. you dont need to buy xtra stuff b/c of that turbo you have.

the intake outlet is angled differently ;)

if you've got everything lined up and prepared it should take an hour and a half tops.

dont forget to tuck the "dog bone" underneath...the transmission..securing...thing. :lol:
i dont know what its called but you know what i mean :roll:
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Oh okay, Didnt know you were online its midnight here. The Intake inlet on the turbo wasent too hard, its just the damm outlet and i figured after going through this much trouble why not intercool the damm thing
dont forget to tuck the "dog bone" underneath...the transmission..securing...thing. Laughing
i dont know what its called but you know what i mean Rolling Eyes
Actually i dont, you mean that sensor on the bracket?

You didnt say whether or not you liked my Form a Gasket?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yep here too!

uh... there is this eff it i'll make a picture. more coming shortly

wait wtf where is your AC line?
Last edited by SubaruNation on Mon May 19, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

The 'dog bone' he's talking about is the metal A/C pipe. You'll see it. It's right by the firewall.

You need to take out your pitch rod (it's the stiff plastic rod that connects your engine to the firewall) and put the A/C line under that. It's easy to do. Then you'll also need to move your igniter. That's the small sensor on the bracket that you referred to.

And the 'Form a Gasket?' Are you talking about your turbo to downpipe goo? Hahaha. If so, then yes it'll work fine. I have the same thing on mine.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Thanks man, goin to bed

What Do you think i should boost at, After getting a boost controller, what do stock wrx boost at, What numbers do you think i could put down? 185, 190? With the exhaust opened up, stock ECU and everything else.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Just read up the Stock WRX boosts at 14 psi, i think 12 should be fine or me, or could i go to 14 after a break in period, this is a used turbo but it has been sitting for a while.
FastRust
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:The 'dog bone' he's talking about is the metal A/C pipe. You'll see it. It's right by the firewall.

You need to take out your pitch rod (it's the stiff plastic rod that connects your engine to the firewall) and put the A/C line under that. It's easy to do. Then you'll also need to move your igniter. That's the small sensor on the bracket that you referred to.

And the 'Form a Gasket?' Are you talking about your turbo to downpipe goo? Hahaha. If so, then yes it'll work fine. I have the same thing on mine.
aaron is the MAN!! lol

ok here's the dirty:
i was lookin at your pics and do you even have an AC line?
if not don't worry about tucking the bone

and ou will also need to move your ignition wires...
here's a pic of my setup.
you can kind of see my ingition wire mount above my intercooler tword the right top corner of it.
Last edited by SubaruNation on Mon May 19, 2008 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

12 is the most you can boost at without a fuel cut defender. After that, if you have the exhaust done, intercooler and preferably new Walbro 255 fuel pump you can boost to 14 psi with the stock injectors. No more though, as you'll begin to run lean and create more knock.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]