My car had an accident without me!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

Manarius wrote: I dare you to try to move my car with the e-brake on. I doubt you'll even be able to budge it.

I can pull my e-brake full on at 60mph and it makes no difference... good thing I know the guy that does inspections :shock:

<edit for misquote>
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

skid542 wrote:Manarius, your ebrake may be perfectly setup with a properly taught cable, fresh pads, etc. I can personally testify that a lot of other peoples cars, including mine, aren't that way and it will move with the ebrake on.
None of the stuff on there is new. All I know is, I pull it up about 9 clicks it will not move.
skid542 wrote:I was always taught that when you park, you set the ebrake securely while still in neutral and then put it in gear so that it's not tranny gears that are holding you but they are there as a backup should the brake fail. Granted when I bought my car the dealer hadn't bothered putting a new button the ebrake and just been letting 1st take care of holding the car.
Me too. I always put the e-brake on in neutral.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Manarius wrote:
skid542 wrote:Manarius, your ebrake may be perfectly setup with a properly taught cable, fresh pads, etc. I can personally testify that a lot of other peoples cars, including mine, aren't that way and it will move with the ebrake on.
None of the stuff on there is new. All I know is, I pull it up about 9 clicks it will not move.
:).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Steve, you're awesome.

Manarius, all I have to do is bump your car with mine and it'll move.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

vrg3 wrote:Steve, you're awesome.

Manarius, all I have to do is bump your car with mine and it'll move.
It'll slide before the wheels move (Do not ask me how I can prove this)
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Whatever.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I've made parking spaces in Boston by pushing cars with their brakes on. They move almost like they aren't there and we're talking 73HP GL 'power'. When in gear, they are harder to move as the wheels won't turn. I imagine that's not very good for the guy's transmission, but serves the prick right for taking up two spaces.

I use my handbrake for driving like a nut. If I didn't put it in gear my car would roll away. It won't even hold the car if the back faces the downhill.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

I like to pull up the parking brake in my Nissan and then put it in drive and tap the gas to watch the rear of the car dip, then throw it in reverse to watch the ass raise up...

It make the minoritys think I have "switches."

(I tired like hell to stay PC on that last sentence)
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

evolutionmovement wrote:When in gear, they are harder to move as the wheels won't turn. I imagine that's not very good for the guy's transmission, but serves the prick right for taking up two spaces.
Steve, you never cease to be my hero.
Lee

tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

:mad:

This irritates me. Most parking lots are flat, and I would assume, due to wal-mart's expected clientele, that all of their parking lots would be exceptionally flat. So why would one need to leave the car in gear?

Don't tell me " 'Cuz someone could run into it and make it roll".

That's bullshit. If someone hits your car, that damage and any subsequent damage is legally and logically their fault.

I'm surprised many of you leave your cars in gear while parked on a flat surface.

Maybe there's a good reason for it? Someone enlighten me, please.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I live in the mountains, rarely am I ever parked on a flat surface, even in the big walmart parking lots and maybe about 5% of the town parking is flat.
Lee

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

ditto. Except there are no walmarts in Boulder.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Tristan - The question of who is at fault when a fender bender sends an improperly secured parked car over a child isn't the big concern, now, is it?

As has been explained in this thread, even when in tip-top shape the parking brake is not sufficient to ensure the car stay in place, and frequently it is not in tip-top shape; it is made up of several wear items.

In my experience most parking lots are not flat. It's hard to find an actually flat lot, and I've spent good time looking for them!

If you want a reason that doesn't revolve around social responsibility, here's one -- it's harder to steal your car with a tow truck if it's in gear.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

I can show you a million flat parking lots in my state. Then again I can't show you too many hills.

For the record The only time I put my car in gear when parked is.....only when my e-brake doesn't work.
Last edited by subawhatsubawho on Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

vrg3 wrote:Tristan - The question of who is at fault when a fender bender sends an improperly secured parked car over a child isn't the big concern, now, is it?

As has been explained in this thread, even when in tip-top shape the parking brake is not sufficient to ensure the car stay in place, and frequently it is not in tip-top shape; it is made up of several wear items.

In my experience most parking lots are not flat. It's hard to find an actually flat lot, and I've spent good time looking for them!

If you want a reason that doesn't revolve around social responsibility, here's one -- it's harder to steal your car with a tow truck if it's in gear.
Now that's an idea I can jump on board with! I'm on your side now. :)
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

>>>professor - Why would the direction of the incline matter? >>>Wouldn't it always be best to put it in the lowest-ratio gear >>>(which in our cars is 1st)?

I have scientifically determined that turning the extra shafts in the transmission when it is in reverse, especially when the tranny oil is cold, actually increases the friction to make overall resistance to rolling higher when facing downhill

actually the real truth is that's the way my Daddy taught me. You aren't calling my daddy a liar, are you :o
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm just curious what your daddy's reasoning is.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

OK I called my Dad and asked.

His well-considered and erudite reply:

"If the operator of said parked vehicle fails to change the position of the gear selector before attempting to take off, the penalty is much less if the car is in first facing uphill, or reverse facing downhill, since the unintended motion of said car will be counteracted by the force of gravity on the car, giving the operator time to recover from the error before plowing into the car parked directly in front, or in back, depending upon the situation"
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah, yes, that makes sense... But aside from that, parking in reverse won't provide more resistance to rolling forwards than parking in 1st, right?
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

usually first and reverse ratios are pretty close. On some cars reverse is much lower but those tend to be old 3 and 4 speed cars where you could go 60 in first gear

it might be a fun test... roll down a hill intentionally in 1st and reverse, and see which is slower. It may depend upon how cold the tranny is if the ratios are really close

doesn't the engine have more resistance when it is turning backwards ? (just kidding)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, I might just give it a try by trying to tow my parked 5-speed with my auto... I can estimate the power required to move it by measuring the MAF sensor signal on the auto.

But, yeah, does the engine not have more resistance in one direction than the other? Does it matter that the valves are opening differently?
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Hehe, this thread has now officially gone off topic.
Lee

0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

skid542 wrote:Hehe, this thread has now officially gone off topic.

YEAH! this is the "misc" forum not the "ashtray" stay on topic suckers!!! :x

( :cool: )
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

In my opinion this is all info that pertains to this thread.

These are things we should know to avoid sending our cars off like unmanned rockets or watching them roll down a highway into on-coming traffic.

I'm personally glad we had this little talk.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Yeah, I don't think any of this is really off-topic, and it's my thread, so there! :-D
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!