Looking for a few legacys for a free grounding kit

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

I got mine installed, don't know if done correctly, cause there has been no change.
This could be due to no corrosion on any points, thus good ground already.
I was hoping it would cure my slow windows and as advertised the parking lot jerk...

I will send Shane his pictures and see if I can get any recommendations on other connection points.

If there are no changes I will either return the kit or pass it along to someone on this forum...
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
paranoid56
In Neutral

Post by paranoid56 »

cool, just let me konw when they are ready.
Thanks
Shane
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Shane - I thought you were sending me a kit? You seemed to have dropped off of PM.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I got the kit installed today, pics coming very soon.

The kit is very nice. The only thing is I'd like to have had one more long wire so that both strut tower grounding points could be utilized. The length of each wire could be slightly longer too, it'd make routing much easier.

My car is noticeably smoother at idle as well as on throttle. Boost comes on stronger like the ECU is reacting faster and adjusting timing better/sooner.

I give it two thumbs up!
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

I have similar grounding points like Matt, at least PICT1007 is the same.

Over the last month the engine has been running really rough when it was wet or dewy, It was so bad that it really missed bad, so I finally found out what it was: The coil and the #4 (looking at engine from front front left cylinder) sparkplug wire were both arcing out like crazy. I replaced with a new coil and wires, and now it's all good. I was just wondering if this was caused because of the extra grounding point added so close to wires and coil?
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

could be. But I bet its just coincidence. The whole engine block is grounded well enough that an extra grounding point wouldn't make a drastic effect on your engine's performance (or lack of).
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

I was wondering if the grounding point might have caused the sparkplug wire and coil to start arcing right in that area??
Which resulted in missing when wet.
Is missing bad for the car?? it was so bad that the whole car bucked...
I never got any codes - bad knock sensor??
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

if this thread is still active, i've got a 91 L with a 92 turbo (thanks Blackbart) engine swap that i just managed to burn out a grounding wire for. so if they're still available....it would give me an excuse to use my new digital cam. :)
stupid electrical work...
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Busdriver wrote:I was wondering if the grounding point might have caused the sparkplug wire and coil to start arcing right in that area??
Which resulted in missing when wet.
Is missing bad for the car?? it was so bad that the whole car bucked...
I never got any codes - bad knock sensor??
my point is: any grounding point on the engine block could've "caused" this problem, it isn't the grounding kit that caused problems for you.

I've had "Missing" happen before, no biggie.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
eph
First Gear

Post by eph »

1991 n/a wagon with 5spd (number 2) a/t wiring.
1991 Legacy L Wagon, FWD to AWD and Automatic to Manual Conversion... then AWD 5M/T N/A to 5M/T Turbo awd swap...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/879076
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

I was looking at pictures of the kit installed and thought to myself how easy it would be to make.

It's a couple differnt lengths of 8 guage wire, terminal rings and heat shrink.

They sell some sweet grounding kits on ebay that might actually work better than the kit advertsised in this thread. If it was me I would want to start at the battery and have a single wire go to each grounding point. Not daisy chained like I see in the pictures.

I'm not saying that grouning kits are or are not a good thing. Personally if I was to use one it would be something along the line of this:
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Yeah, these proliferate on eBay. Are the garbage? They look pretty cool... :/
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

I think I might try one. I'll keep you guys informed thu this thread.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Those look too ricey to me ;). One advantage of the daisy chain though is that it takes less space and if you start working in your engine compartment it's less wires you're having to work/move around to get to what you want. If you clean the contacts before you install them and smear a little dielectric grease over it afterwards you'll be just as good as the ebay one.

I gotta stand up for Shane's product :). I've been very happy with and it still looks and works just as good today as it did when I put it on.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
eph
First Gear

Post by eph »

i have a home made grounding kit on my leg, ive noticed alot... brighter headlights, i can't say anything about audio, i have no music in my car at the moment. but electrical seems to be much better, and starting is alot easier.

i just wanted to get a real grounding kit and make it look nice...
1991 Legacy L Wagon, FWD to AWD and Automatic to Manual Conversion... then AWD 5M/T N/A to 5M/T Turbo awd swap...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/879076
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

I believe I stated this earlier in the thread (too lazy to look back) but I'll ask everyone to monitor their car's behavior, and try and tell whether the A/C compressor is on or not. I have a hard time telling the difference with my grounding kit on (I made it myself).
185,000 miles
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

To avoid the rice look order in black... 8)

Shane, did I miss it something? Are these things available for purchase now?
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

I'll make them...I have rolls and rolls of 8 guage from when I had my shop. I'll pick up some terminal rings and crank these babys out left and right.

Just specify the lenghts of the wire needed and wer set. If you don't know the lenghts then I will send a universal kit.

I can even offer it in different colors and guages. You also have the option to rice out your wire by putting different colored loom on it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd be down. I can take a look at where I would put them, take some dimensions and give them to you. If others want to use the same spots, then you have those lengths to work with.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Count me in too. Since Shane backed out on me, I'd like to give another one a shot.

One quirk.... My battery is in my trunk, and is grounded there as well. I may actually decide to move my battery back to the front of the car for a more-stock system.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I also want one for my Forester. It needs it.

Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

count me in, i'll send you the measurements as soon via PM as soon as i get my tape measure back
stupid electrical work...
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I'm interested but will wait on the sidelines to hear back. Worried aobut fixing what ain't broke.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

You guys do know I was going to sell them...right. I'm a nice guy and all...but my time is money.