AWIC for N00bs

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kingbobdole
First Gear

Post by kingbobdole »

Ohhh. simpler question.... and thanks for the heater core info BTW...
Where can I get the hose that goes from the turbo to the intercooler and the BOV?
89 XT6 EZ30 powered
87 D/R Wagon w/ legacy seats :P
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

since you doing a custim setup, i would just make one from silicone couplers and/or elbows and some spare aluminum pipe.
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Bilge pumps are all 12VDC that I've seen as their engines run the same as ours. They will hook right up. Get one without an internal float switch unless you want it to run constantly. To reduce vibration you should mount it on rubber stoppers or similar. That should reduce some of the noise you may get. Boats hulls amplify the noise with the fiberglass and the fact that they're mounted as close to the hull line as possible. In this case, mounting it a little higher in the tank in the interest of quiet won't be an issue. You can get them in volumes from 100 gph to 1000+, but going way over the top probably won't help you any more than what you need.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

In general, intercooler coolant temperatures will be cooler than engine coolant temperatures. Good plastic should work okay; after all, my cooler in the back seat was made all of plastic.

I found the bilge pump on eBay. The 1000 model here:

http://www.etaengineering.com/waterpump ... pump.shtml

Runs off 12 volts DC (I actually just put a cigarette lighter plug on the end). I was impressed how small it was, considering its flow capacity and its continuous duty rating. Huge flow. And it was actually not that loud. Once it was inside the cooler I had to turn the radio off to hear whether it was running at idle.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Excellent prices and those aren't the float switch ones either. I'm not familiar with the Piranha, but I'm sure they're fine. They look like the Rule pumps in a different color. Anything rated for marine use will probably be durable, especially something critical like a bilge pump. I only saw one actual pump failure as a mechanic that wasn't due to wire corrosion and that was probably almost 20 years old.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah. It actually seems a little nicer, sturdier, and more serviceable than the Rule pumps I've played with.

But, yes, it's very simple -- no float switch or anything. Not self-priming, but they don't have inlet fittings anyway -- they're meant to be submersed. If used to bail water they'll bring the level down to a few millimeters.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

So these are really more a fountain pump than an actual bilge pump, ity seems, unless you're using it in an old toilet boat that has a perpetual supply of water in the bilge.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I guess. Or maybe they're supposed to be backup pumps that you activate manually. I don't know boats.