ej22t block is got dohc from ej20k*

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I meant those little bumps when I said "pips." I didn't realize the DOHC pulley was plastic. That makes sense then. Yeah, I think the stock sensor will be fine.

Oh, I see... the stock throttle body won't clear the IAC valve. I guess I don't see any harm in mounting it upside-down as long as the cables can reach. If you choose to run the coolant lines to the throttle body it may take some effort to burp all the air out of them.

If the stock throttle body doesn't fit, then it's possible to use the EJ20K TPS with some finagling. You'd switch the TPS ground and TPS power supply wires, and then either somehow mount a microswitch for the idle switch or electronically simulate the idle switch signal.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ok thats perfect vrg3, thank so much. i will let you no how it goes.

about the throttle, i have no clue what to make with micro that, eletroid this, you lost me hahahhah. i will stick with the factory one it will work.

its just up side down who cares when your going to make a monster motor thats the way i see it.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

vrg3 i forgot one more thing becuse i got all hung up on this cam thing.

my motor is going to rev past my 6000rpms is the dead mark, how can i get rid of the rev limter? with the heads on i can rev to 8000rpms right.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

would it make any power at 8000..? :?

im curious, vrg- you mean if you change the power and ground wires on the TPS it would make the signal wire read 1.6-4.7v instead of 4.7-1.6?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nico - I don't know if you can safely rev to 8000 RPM. I don't know how you can easily get rid of the rev limiter while you're using the stock ECU.

Natoe - Well, no, the other way around. If you switch the power and ground wires on a newer TPS it'll read low-to-high rather than high-to-low.

Switching them on the older-style TPS might or might not work right because there's also the idle switch, which switches to ground.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I'm probably going to limit my revs to about 7500 to be on the safe side after i install the new computer in my car. The heads you have probably have shims under buckets nico, if one of them pops out under load, it could cause a lot of damage.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ya it has shims and buckets. with putting the dohc heads on i was under the impresion that i could rev higher.
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

dzx wrote:I'm probably going to limit my revs to about 7500 to be on the safe side after i install the new computer in my car. The heads you have probably have shims under buckets nico, if one of them pops out under load, it could cause a lot of damage.
if it's shim under bucket what makes you think they'll pop out? Shim over buckets tend to rip off with large amounts of lift (in relation to the follower diamerter) and high RPM. Shim under bucket or solid buckets are the things most people swap to
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

what is a ej20k red line at i heard like 8000rpm after 8000rpm it show in red 9000rpm 10000rpm is this right or wrong.

so what will my new motor set up rev to. i no i cant pass 6500rpm (stockej22t) but i dont make power up there, if these heads let me rev to 8000rpm then i should shift at like 7000rpm right? and it would make power at 7000rpm?

my dad siad all the fast cars have shims and buckets.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Why do you want to take your motor that high??

The EJ22T with those heads should be a torque monster down low.

I just don't understand it, if you put a turbo on it that is properly matched to the flow characteristics of the engine, and gets full spool before like 6500rpm there is really no need to rev that high...

Basically, if you want to rev high, get a Honda (which would fit you very well I think)
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

To rev over 6500 AND make power you need more than just heads. And I don't even know much about this. But.....

I do know you need....

Stand alone EM. This is just a given.
Almost always whacky custom intake (everytime I see a high rpm Subie, it has custom intake manifold.)
Finally, not just good heads, but really custom heads.

Oh yeah, a whacky turbo to match.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

sammydafish wrote:
dzx wrote:I'm probably going to limit my revs to about 7500 to be on the safe side after i install the new computer in my car. The heads you have probably have shims under buckets nico, if one of them pops out under load, it could cause a lot of damage.
if it's shim under bucket what makes you think they'll pop out? Shim over buckets tend to rip off with large amounts of lift (in relation to the follower diamerter) and high RPM. Shim under bucket or solid buckets are the things most people swap to
sorry if i mistyped
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

555BCTurbo wrote: I just don't understand it, if you put a turbo on it that is properly matched to the flow characteristics of the engine, and gets full spool before like 6500rpm there is really no need to rev that high...

Basically, if you want to rev high, get a Honda (which would fit you very well I think)
As you know, horsepower is torque x rpm divided by a constant, if i remember correctly. So if you can maintain any amount of torque at high rpm, the engine is gonna make high horsepower. That's kinda like saying if formula one cars make power down low, why don't they just rev to 6500.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Right, but what I was getting at is that there is really no reason to rev it higher...because it will make enough power down low.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i was raised on turbo awd first car mazda 323 gtx second car turbo legacy i say no more. i have never driven a front wheel drive in my life and i am 27.

ok about the reving i was asking about is becuse the tach says red lines to 8000rpm so 7000rpm is going to be my new red line when the heads go on. it might change to 6500 becuse i dont no how it will feel and if i do make or dont make power.

i dont like my subaru to be a monster low reving car, i had it like that and it was a pain, i like for the boost to come on slow then kick in hard. just with my vf34, i like it becuse it made it more up high power and killed a little down low, very good for hwys.

with vf34 1st gear it just moves me out, then 2nd a bit more power, 3rd is insane and so on.

with vf11 t-bird 1st gear insane, 2nd to short, 3rd is not bad and 4th 5th is not bad but it need more.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If you have a big enough turbo, you'll make power up high as well. I'll probably shift around 7500 when i get the wrx heads on but my turbo doesn't spool until about 3500 rpm.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

dzx ya mine spools around that time to, i like it better like that then spooling at like 2000rpm.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ok guys i got all the parts in and tomorrow (saturday) the dohc heads from a ej20k are going on my ej22t block.

will it work? i dont want a car that wont run then have to change everything back?

what you guys think?

and does anyone want more pics of stuff?
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Have you worked out what the compression ratio will be? I did some math one day, and I came up with 7.4:1. I don't remember what heads I used though.

What headgasket are you going to use?

I might be doing something similar later this year, which is why I ask.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ im useing the ej22t head gaskets.

i heard the compression will go down, i told my dad he siad its ok. i told him becuse its down i can run more boost to make it up he siad yes, then some one told me its going to be slow he siad i wont even notice it.

then i asked him even more questions, just to think about other things about the compression getting lower, he lost it on me and siad MAH who the fuckA is putting all this stupid shitA in your head!!!! keep going on thatA god dame internet he siad hahahhahaha

so i dont no mikec? i geuss it will be ok, beats me, i just want it to run so i have a car to drive then i can tune the motor up for insane HP'SSSSSSSSSSSSS
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Haha. Yeah, people told me to just put a bigger turbo on it and turn up the boost, and not worry about it.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Maybe you could try to order a Ver.3 STi metal head gasket for your safe side of over boost.
I think we should have a Legacy Turbo meet once in Toronto.....
What do you guys think Mikec and Nico??

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

id be down for a meet, i made a impreza now but i will still come becuse i was a turbo legacy freak before i was even a subaru fan.

i all ways go to meets on the toronto subaru club. i only no james L who has come out and nuwan with turbo legacys.

about the head gaskets i was going to get a metal head gasket but my dad siad get the stock ones for the ej22t, i think they match things perfect becuse the .2L of a diffrence from the 2.0L head size.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

geez im lovin ur car even more.

the compression should be lower with the DOHC heads meaning u will have less power down low, but since ur gonna be feeding it loads of air, its gonna be a monster up top. the best way to find out when to shift would probably be to get it dyno'd. then u will also see where the power will start falling off which would show u when to shift. just a thought.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Nico, I read somewhere that you have to use the EJ22T headgasket, because the stock pistons come up past the top of the block a bit.