ej22t block is got dohc from ej20k*

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

hackish
First Gear

Post by hackish »

The EJ20K heads flow well to 7600 RPM on a 2.0l engine. On a 2.2l you may need to drop this off a little. If you do some port work to the heads they can be improved a little but they flow pretty well in stock form.

-Michael
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Project_Legacy thanks, but i hope this thing runs ok for me to drive it to the dyno hahahah.

mikec no the piston dont come out at all my dad siad, i have to use the ej22t head gasket becuse of the size of the block.

hackish they look like they are going to flow a huge amount, the intake + intake manifold and the exhuste holes are huge they match everthing like gaskets perfect. just the exhuste side of the head has a slight bit of meat but im not porting nothing becuse my dad siad there huge all ready.

DOES ANY ONE no where i could get the valve lash SPECs, my dad needs them? also could i just use any valve lash from any dohc modle?
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Good to know. Thanks Nico!
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ no problemo.

i cant find anywhere valave lash specs for the ej20k ANYONE please help me out.

i cant log on to nabisco at all, i no they got some specs can someone check for me please it would save a life?
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ok guys its done, the motor runs perfect like it came from the factory, it does not even make a single blip burp nothing.

performance of the car you will never belive me, when you wot it, look out!! as soon as it hit's 3000rpm it goes crazy, this is with 10psi. ITS A MUST FOR EJ22T OWNERS, its to scary. with a little more boost I AM SURE THE TIRES WILL LET GO, it to crazy there is just to much power.

im going to get it dyno tuned for you guys to see what it has, also to tune this for more hps.

i cant belive how fast the dohc heads made the car its got so much torque.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Hey Nico,

That's with the stock EJ22T pistons, right? What's it like off boost?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ya stock pistons from a car that had 200,000kms on the motor so who knows how long it will hold.

i cant belive how fast the car is i was on the hwy i hit 220kms so easy now its insane. the car revs with power to rpm red line it wont give up.

i add a little more boost 15psi on the vf22, i was turning a corner and the hole car all most spun around in a circle if i didnt let of the gas.

every gear is stupid fast.

GET THIS DONE PEPOLE you WONT BELIEVE WHAT POWER IT MAKES.
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

Can you do a writeup on this swap? What doesnt fit and such...or is it bolt up and go?.....also. Can you do DOHC heads on the stocker ECU in the legacy turbo?
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ya i will try to do a little right up basic tips pepole got to do this.

the car runs perfect like it was from the factory on the stock ecu, it is so smooth. i didnt even think it would have run with out tuneing it, i have 2 subaru tecs that cant belive it runs perfect like that. i took them for a ride and they could not belive how smooth and how fast it is, they siad it has more pull then a sti would ever have, they where so scared hahahaha.

i cant wiat to hit a dyno tune and boost it even more.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

I am glad to see it all works on the stock ecu. A little write up with a few pointers, as you say will be greatly apprciated. If all goes well, I will be getting ej20g heads to put on my car. After this, I really cant wait :D
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ will do O IT'S AMAZING HOW IT CHANGED THE CAR.

you guys will never belive this if i told you!! i cant belive it, my check engien light has been on for 14 years now, THE LIGHT WHENT OUT i cant belive this. pepole that come in my car say your light is on, i tell them o ya thats nothing its just telling me its good hahahah but the light went out with all this modification done to it i dont belive it.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

lol my CEL went out recently too. i think the bulb might have burned out... :lol:
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ hahaha no my bulb did not burn out, it come's on some times, but its out most of the time this ecu loves my crazy motor i built hahahah.
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Good to hear that everything went well Nico, looking forward to a writeup ;) What year EJ20 were the heads off of?

Edit: Also, did you use the EJ22T cam gear?
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

this is how it all whent down.

ok i started with a ej20k motor (complete with vf22 turbo also), it came with 440cc yellow side feed injectors ( which fit in our stock ej22t rials).

i took the heads from the ej20k used ej22t head gaskets and put that all on the ej22t block, my dad did the timing, so i dont no this part ( he copyed the timing from a n/a 2.5l rs motor). then i used all my factory subaru ej22t sensors excluding the ics (becuse there all the same).

now on mounting the intake manifold, i ran in to a couple little problem's, not to big but it need some work. the throttle need to be put up side down, becuse the isc is in the way. we mounted it upside down, then i ran into more problems. i had to shave the tps sensore plate a little, becuse the throttle body is to close when putting it on the intake manifold. there is also a tab when you turn the throttle to wot that hit's the other side of the intake manifold, its where the special screw is (that no one should mess with) so i had to shave this tab a little just to mount the throttle body to the intake manifold (no big problems but if you get ej20g intake manifold it would be a direct swap). then the cable holder need to be worked on, becuse it was off. if anyone does this swap and has a shop to work it all out on, it wont take long 1hour.

after the throttle issue then the injectors. becuse i wanted my sti 550cc injectors in the car, i had to drill new holes in the intake manifold. ( the rails that come on this motor are very diffrent, but the injectors will fit in our stock ej22t rials. good for pepole that dont want to change rails, swap and go 440cc's) when drilling the holes the marks are all ready there for some stupid subaru reason, they didnt do it! who know's why. now rails! the rials like i was useing on my ej22t intake manifold wont work (rails where from a 1.8l suabru motor so i could use the 550cc sti injectors). i had to use dohc 2.5rs rials, becuse where they mount its close together (ej22t rials mounting holes sit far there away). you also got to use your hole fuel rail system that bolts to the intake manifold.

after all those little problems your good to go with intake set up. then the crazy part comes, vacum hoses and all types of hose's. you better get some new hoses becuse vacum lines going every where. becuse of new lengths and diffrent placeing of stuff.

also becuse the intake manifold is diffrent. i could use a 90elbow on the vf22 turbo with out haveing to getting rid of the braket that holds the up-pipe to the tranny motor, lots of room now. i am still useing my factory rubber 90 that has all the hose fittings built in. you could use the under the intake pipe, but i think its stupid made and i cant get at everything after. you would have to take the intake off to fix a hose.

one more thing the middle vacum nipple in the ej22t block. i did not block it, well i did but then after working 24 hours around the clock. i had to pass out and "my dad siad block it" so i did. as i was sleeping he un blocked it, becuse jesus came to him and siad no hahhahaha. so he tied it in line with the vavle covers and in the in take for the turbo.

the heads use the same spark plugs as ej22t, the spark plugs that came with the ej20k where sti 6 plugs the gap was like .30

as long as the motor has a coil pack like our ej22t block's use the swap can be done and the car will run ( stock ecu who would have new).

sorry for spelling grammer and the rest of you that cant read it, i will send you a picture book if you want.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Badass, nice find; the stock ECU runs 550cc injectors with the ej20k heads and a VF22 like stock. I'll have to get my hands on one of them engines.

How does it idle?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

o sorry free5ty1e, no my greddy is running the 550cc injectors. (there is a option in the greddy that % 550cc to let them run like stock) i am going to dyno tune it soon but its like stock the greddy also.

but the stock ecu is running the ej20k heads and vf22 like it is stock. the idle is perfect if i could just get the dame screw a single turn, to bring the rpm's up a bit. but becuse its up side down its hard.

free5ty1e listen to me GET THIS DONE, i am not kidding you ITS SO FUCKING FAST, with a little more boost + tune the tires will give out. in 1st and 2nd gear, i am not talking about chirping gears. full out spinning tires.
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

Besides not being able to understand what you mean in these two paragraphs... I think you and your dad did a great job.
NICO I WRX U wrote:after the throttle issue then the injectors. becuse i wanted my sti 550cc injectors in the car, i had to drill new holes in the intake manifold. ( the rails that come on this motor are very diffrent, but the injectors will fit in our stock ej22t rials. good for pepole that dont want to change rails, swap and go 440cc's) when drilling the holes the marks are all ready there for some stupid subaru reason, they didnt do it! who know's why. now rails! the rials like i was useing on my ej22t intake manifold wont work (rails where from a 1.8l suabru motor so i could use the 550cc sti injectors). i had to use dohc 2.5rs rials, becuse where they mount its close together (ej22t rials mounting holes sit far there away). you also got to use your hole fuel rail system that bolts to the intake manifold.

one more thing the middle vacum nipple in the ej22t block. i did not block it, well i did but then after working 24 hours around the clock. i had to pass out and "my dad siad block it" so i did. as i was sleeping he un blocked it, becuse jesus came to him and siad no hahhahaha. so he tied it in line with the vavle covers and in the in take for the turbo.

Also what are you refering to when you say?
NICO I WRX U wrote:you could use the under the intake pipe
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ i had a problem with the ej20k injectors rials. the side feeds that come in that ej20k motor are way diffrent then the new side feeds out there, like the sti 550cc. the side feeds are like ej22t injectors they have bigger holes in the rails its like a old design. so i could not put the 550cc sti ones in the ej20k rials becuse they would leak.

so i had to use 2.5rs rials and drill new holes to mate them up to this intake manifold. so the rials would bolt up to the intake manifold.

2nd this if you look at any new wrx or sti they use it. the hose for that, goe's under the intake to suck air in to the turbo. i used my 90 elbow on stock 90 elbow to plum the turbo.
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

Ok thanks for the claification on that.

What did you mean when you said that jesus came to your dad while you were sleeping.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

A_DuB wrote: What did you mean when you said that jesus came to your dad while you were sleeping.
LoL. i think it was a metaphor.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Inspiration, yo. Jesus came to Nico's dad and warned him about the incorrect PCV configuration. Jesus must drive a Subaru. :-D

Yeah - I'm definately going to have to try this head swap out. I'll have to locate the junkyards around me once I'm in NV and start hunting for a donor engine.

Ah, the pristine, rust-free junkyards of the desert.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^^ hahahahha jesus drives a subaru LOL + rust free i wish i was that lucky.