how much boost?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

how much boost?

Post by kleinkid »

What would be the highest safest boost with a vf12 in a '91SS, no IC, 3"CES TBE, K&N panel filter? Don't want to break anything. Also, what would your guess be for crank HP?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I think I ran 9 or 10 psi intercooled on a stock exhaust without the muffler. That's about what I'd run with my exhaust and no intercooler, at the very most. A VF12 flows a lot more air than the stock VF11, so I'd suggest running it at wastegate boost (around 8 or 9psi probably) and you should be OK. I run my 16G at wastegate boost around town, and it's kinda quick.

BHP at 9 psi on a VF12 would probably net you close to 190 or so BHP.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

others

Post by kleinkid »

Matt Monson, any others have any opinions?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I agree with Phil...the VF12 flows a considerable amount more air volume than a VF11, and running it non-intercooled with anything more than wastegate boost is kinda playing with fire, so to speak.

You should pick up an AWIC and a walbro pump, then you can start having fun :P
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I ran about 13psi on the vf11 with an intercooler before it ran out of its efficiency range according to the dyno
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Why aren't you using an intercooler with the vf12? I'm not sure if you could have a high enough pressure to overcome the size of the turbo and still be unintercooled.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

IC first or turbo first?

Post by kleinkid »

The opportunity to purchase a vf12 came up, and I will be picking it up this weekend. The rear cam seal weeps and will have the turbo out to make it easier to get at the cam seal to replace it. Thought that would be a good time get the vf12 in. Getting an intercooler is a step in the evolution of enjoying this car. That is why my intent is to get the vf12 in there at this point. IC first? Bigger turbo first? It just happens that I will have the turbo in hand first. Is it a fatally flawed plan? Also, currently do not have a boost controller installed, and will have a boost gage in before I replace the vf11 or at the same time.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I think it would be better to put an intercooler in at the same time as the vf12.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

a boost gauge is VERY important, it is basically telling you what the engine is doing, well a vacume/boost gauge can tell you the boost, bad valves, clogged exhaust, etc.
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I am going to get a boost gage and the vf12 in first, and then work on getting a plan and parts together to install a IC. If it is not running well after the vf12 is in I'll just have to accelerate the IC install plan.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

BAC5.2 wrote:I think I ran 9 or 10 psi intercooled on a stock exhaust without the muffler. That's about what I'd run with my exhaust and no intercooler, at the very most. A VF12 flows a lot more air than the stock VF11, so I'd suggest running it at wastegate boost (around 8 or 9psi probably) and you should be OK. I run my 16G at wastegate boost around town, and it's kinda quick.

BHP at 9 psi on a VF12 would probably net you close to 190 or so BHP.
what CHP ballpark would 190 BHP put you in? 250 CHP?
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I think he is refering to baud HP as in crank HP.

Get a WRX IC. Cheap and easy.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

93forestpearl wrote:I think he is refering to baud HP as in crank HP.

Get a WRX IC. Cheap and easy.
baud hp? there is a term i have never heard.

i assumed he meant Brake Horse Power as in at the wheels.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Doesn't crank HP refer to the power before it goes through the transmission? What mfgs. reference, ie 160hp for a stock SS. That is the number I need to compare with. EDIT: Aren't crank horsepower and brake horsepower interchangeable terms?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

BHP = CHP.

WHP < BHP.

Compare 190BHP to the claimed 160BHP. You'd be lucky to see that jump.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Well, what I'm saying is, you're going to have to redo the pcv hoses, and the turbo to intercooler tube anyway, so why not throw an intercooler into the mix also? I'm sure you could find a WRX one for less than 100 bucks.

biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

i would feel better if you put an intercooler on :-p
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

heh im gonna agree too. if you are changing the turbo, you might as well get an intercooler on it too since your alrdy there. plus isnt the vf12 sort of in between a td04 and td05? i wouldnt run that any higher than stock boost either. right now im boosting close to 11-12 psi un-intercooled on my vf11. i wouldnt go any higher than that on my setup.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

As far as intercoolers go, which is the best way to go. The Saab or WRX? Maybe this response can stay with this topic, and further IC discussion for my application I should probably post on the Intercooler section.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Lots of discussion on this already. I think almost everyone would agree you may as well do the WRX intercooler if going topmount. Frontmount's better. :twisted:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

OK. Thanks to all of you for your input. A WRX intercooler is what I'll do, sooner or later. Now i'll start reviewing WRX IC installs and make plans to get r done.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

i do have a spare one... was barely used on a wrx. they said it had about 5k miles on it. comes with the y pipe too. ill let it go for 70 dollars shipped. let me know what you think.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Thank you. I better get this. PM'd you.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Project_Legacy wrote:heh im gonna agree too. if you are changing the turbo, you might as well get an intercooler on it too since your alrdy there. plus isnt the vf12 sort of in between a td04 and td05? i wouldnt run that any higher than stock boost either. right now im boosting close to 11-12 psi un-intercooled on my vf11. i wouldnt go any higher than that on my setup.
Pretty much all 90degree VF's are between a TD04 and a TD05. The VF12 is the biggest of the 90 degrees, but it's still not that big of a turbo.

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

ah ic. i thought the vf12 and vf8 were able to push at most like 14-15 PSI effeciently tho. thats what i thought any way.