04+ springs

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

The Scooby
Second Gear

04+ springs

Post by The Scooby »

ok i have a 92SS, i know i need to swap to the 90-91 rear spring perches for the rears, but the front... my 92's should work with the 04+ springs right?

all i have seen in the threads is about the rear suspension, not the front. please help me out.

Thanks,
Shean
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I'm pretty sure you need new front perches as well. But instead of using the 04 springs you can get 02-03 springs, which will work with your stock rear tops and perches.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

so the 02/03 springs will go right into my struts no problem?

and the reason i was gonna get the 04+'s was because i can get them for $80

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah they should work. I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried it though. What I do know is the rear 02-03 springs are straight like the 93-94 springs and fit into the top perches. I think it's safe to assume that they will also fit into the bottom perches. I have heard people say that any spring will fit into any strut.

What springs are $80? That's kind of a lot for a stock WRX springs. You should be able to find them for like $40. STi springs are too stiff for stock struts or even GR2s anyway.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

no they are tanable (spelling) GF210's

but i would in a performance shop now so if the 02/03's go right in ill buy them new

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

yeah try them out. You might need the upper spring perches in the front though. What's the spring rate on those? Also, it might lower the car a lot.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

ya these are the 2inch drop.

ahh screw it, im just going to buy somt stock 02/03 struts and put some espelir springs on it from my shop.

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Get BC or GC struts instead so you don't have to deal with the geometry problems. You should still be able to use an 02-03 spring with them if you want. KYB GR2s and AGXes are cheap on e-bay.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

i went looking through our catalogs and found that inatrax and h&r makes direct springs to lower my car 1.5inches all round and i get my discount on ether. i will pay probally like $180

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Those are ricer springs. Do you care about handling or looks?

If you want the car to handle well, you need more than just a set of springs. The overall goal is to maintain a good contact patch by keeping the tire flat and on the ground. To keep the tire flat you basically need negative camber and a good amount of roll stiffness. To keep the tire on the ground you need good damping.

This means stiffer springs, bigger swaybars, an agressive alignment/possibly camber plates, and the proper struts to keep the tire on the ground.

There is a whole boatload of this information available online, and searching/checking the faqs on nasioc will turn up a bunch of good information.

Spending $200 on lowering springs is not the place to start,