electrical issue's car won't start

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ej22t-dp
In Neutral

electrical issue's car won't start

Post by ej22t-dp »

I have a 93 legacy turbo wagon
before last winter, i was having some starter problems and i found myself constantly having to hit the starter while turning the key to get the engine to turn over. I let the car sit over the winter and now i can't seem to get the car to start.

i have a working battery in there, but i can't get any power to anything except the power locks. when i try and turn the key the only thing i hear is a chime... i don't even hear a click for the fuel pump .. radio/dash/signals don't work either.

so i have come to conclusion that i might have blown a main fuse... except when i look for the fuse box i can't find it ... i checked the main fusebox under the hoodd to find everything was good. but where is the other fuse box ?

anyone have any other leads on how to diagnose this problem ?
i wanna avoid taking it to a mech as i want to fix the car up a bit before i try and sell it.. i just need it to be running.

thanks alot

-ped
Born 2 XLR-8
--------------------------------
Every year more than 2500 left handed people are killed from using right handed products.
Earn easy cash in your spare time by blackmailing friends
Dont steal, the government hates competition
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Kick panel box - driver's side basically on the wheel well inside the car.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Also there is a Fuse Box under the hood. Right in front of the Driver side strut tower.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

hmmm. one time i had this problem. It was the connection cables at the battery, and they were not corroded, they just needled a little wiggle/twist/rotate slightly and re-tighten. try that too.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
ej22t-dp
In Neutral

Post by ej22t-dp »

ok guys here's an update

i checked all the fuses they seem to be fine ( both fuse boxes ) but i still can't get the car to start

same symptome:
key in turn all the way, i hear a chime and nothing else works EXEPT the power locks....

could the battery not be powering eneogh juice ?
anyone with any advice please help me out
thanks
Born 2 XLR-8
--------------------------------
Every year more than 2500 left handed people are killed from using right handed products.
Earn easy cash in your spare time by blackmailing friends
Dont steal, the government hates competition
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

weird, I would suggest getting a voltmeter or something to check and make sure you are getting power to somewhere immediately after leaving the battery.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

Take a fused test light to the battery (+) and (-). Then put the test light probe on the starter (+) large gauge power connection and the other end to the battery ground. It should as bright as it was at the battery. Next have someone turn the key over while you check the starter ignition input, the small gauge single wire. If both have good power. Get a new,used rebuilt starter or rebuild it yourself. The contacts or solenoid is prob burnt out. You can remove it and hot wire or jumpstart the starter out of the car to verify its bad too, but keep in mind its not under load. Load being to turn the flywheel/flex plate over.
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Did you check the battery terminals? If they're not sitting properly or corroded badly that'll happen.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon