AT problems...various!!!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tmarcel
First Gear

AT problems...various!!!

Post by tmarcel »

I posted in an older thread but decided to edit it out and start a new one.

Anyway, I need some advice quickly on my beater 1990 Legacy LS AWD. I got this freaking car only a few days ago and all was well. I decided to drain the ATF fluid and put new fluid back in. It was fine for about 25 miles or so. Then it decided it did not want to shift out of gear. 1st gear to 2nd revs high, then under WOT it'll shift near redline. Then 2nd to 3rd must be near redline too to shift. It absolutely will not go in 4th (D).

If it's in the "Manual" mode, I can drive the car through 1-3 gears. Shifting is not perfect either (a little harsh).

So last night I decided to go ahead and pull the pan and replace the filter too. Doing this I also cleaned the pan really well, installed a new magnet, and a new o-ring on the filter. I got some better synthetic ATF this time around and the same damn thing It is a little *smoother* but it's just wacked still.

Other issues:

1.) Besides the shifting issues, when I go to turn sharply the read end is locking up, not both wheels just which ever wheel inside to the turn is.

2.) When the car is in Park (P), and I turn the ignition off the car lunges forward. Almost like it was loaded up.

3.) If the car is in Manual mode and the trans is in gear, i.e. sitting at a light with it in either 1,2, or 3, and if I release the brake pedal it barely moves, almost like it has the e-brake on (it's not though). Now the same situation but I release the Manual button to regular mode and the car wants to move forward as any other AT trans car would.

4.) I tried the the TCU test to check codes but that procedure doesn't work for me. I also pulled the negative battery cable and mashed the brake pedal to completely drain the electrical system but I still get the same issues. However, I do notice that after turning the engine on that the "power" light will come on for a moment and then immediattely begine to flash 16 times. It does this sequence only once and does not repeat thereafter. Although, there's no 16 code for the TCU that I see. Only a "15" for a shift solenoid. Could this be what's the issue?

5.) Higher than normal idle. About 1k rpm idle. There's a CEL as well so I'm not sure how one affects the other on these cars. Too bad OBD1 is such a PITA :roll:
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

first and foremost, when you check the level of ATF the car has to be running/on. Make sure you cycle thru ALL the gears and hold it in each gear for several seconds. Then, with car running, on level surface, and in park, check the fluid level.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

Bheinen74 wrote:first and foremost, when you check the level of ATF the car has to be running/on. Make sure you cycle thru ALL the gears and hold it in each gear for several seconds. Then, with car running, on level surface, and in park, check the fluid level.
Thanks but I've already done this. I don't think that would explain the rear wheels wanting to lock up while turning sharply or any of the other odd things.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Issue #1 is Torque Bind. Do a search, you'll find lots.

As for the shifting issue: I think your brakeband is messed up.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

Okay okay this is resolved :) Due to not knowing these cars very well and how the AT works, I was a bit perplexed. The TPS connector was on but not fully connected. I guess, the other day after buying the car I jumped right in and quickly began the process of changing plugs, plugs wires, PCV, airfilter, oil/filter, ATF fluid, etc. It appears that I had pulled the TPS wire loose and just left it sitting there in top of the TPS thereafter. It was on the TPS but the tab was not 'clicked' into place. I hoenestly didn't even notice since it's covered w/the black plastic piece.
happyboy
In Neutral

Post by happyboy »

I am kind of new to this so could you tell me what the TPS connector is and what issue this resolved on your last post? Did it fix the wheels wanting to lock up? My legacy does this all the time and maybe my TPS is not working properly? Thanks.
Bosco
Second Gear

Post by Bosco »

It doesn't seem to me that a disconnected tps would cause all this mess.

It's definitely not causing the torque binding or the lurching forward when you shut off the car in Park.

It was myabe causing problem #5.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - 5MT Swapped and now with 100% less turbo!
02 Legacy L wagon - Auto
92 Legacy L fwd auto
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Bosco wrote:It doesn't seem to me that a disconnected tps would cause all this mess.

It's definitely not causing the torque binding or the lurching forward when you shut off the car in Park.

It was myabe causing problem #5.
but whats a TPS? is it the connector on the transmission? Is he saying he unplugged it, and he had all these probblems, that makes much more sense you know.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

TPS = throttle position sensor....and its located on the throttle body of the intake.

b
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k