WRX TMIC + Cruise Control = What BOV/BPV/DV Options?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Well do you care if you go Atmospheric or not?

I honestly think that APS one would work damn good, but you can make a similar contraption for much less.

When I get my IC I think I am going to make my own. If it works out maybe I could make a couple more and give them to guys on here.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
High PSI
First Gear

Post by High PSI »

Imprezive wrote:Well do you care if you go Atmospheric or not?

I honestly think that APS one would work damn good, but you can make a similar contraption for much less.

When I get my IC I think I am going to make my own. If it works out maybe I could make a couple more and give them to guys on here.
Yes, I'd very much like to go atmospheric. However, I'm not willing to do so if it's going to make the car run like crap. I wasn't even considering atmospheric until I read all the threads of the guys who were doing so and weren't having any issues.

The APS looks nice, but I'm not willing to pay upwards of $300.

Right now I can get either a HKS SSQV with the flange for $130 shipped, and try to run atmospheric, or a Turbo XS Type-H34 with the flange for $60 shipped, and play it safe.

I'm actually considering picking up both and selling the HKS if it runs like crap, or the Turbo XS if it doesn't.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Get both, 2 BOV's for less than $200 is an awesome deal!

Well yesterday I unhooked the recirculation line that goes from the stock bypass valve to the intake boot, and pluged the boot.

It sounded pretty cool, but that thing leaks like crazy. It made my car run like sh*t, especially when I would let off the throttle to slow down and turn back into my driveway, or right after taking it out of gear and coasting to a stop.

It must leak a lot under vacuum because it ran fine wen accelerating... I dont think you will really have a problem with going Atmo, my brother has been running Atmo on his legacy for several months. His car is fine. I think you just need to find one thats not going to leak.

Can you just not vent the TXS one? I mean my stock one in the stock location without the recirc hose was plenty loud enough.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
High PSI
First Gear

**UPDATE**

Post by High PSI »

Well, I installed the HKS SSQV last night and took the car for a spin. HOLY-S***! Running atmospheric, this thing is LOUD. I've got this BOV on my Eclipse running recirculated and I can't believe it's the same unit. I only drove the car a mile or so, but I love it. Time will tell whether or not I get annoyed of it, but as of right now I couldn't be happier. I remember five year ago or so I saw a video of a T-61 Supra with this BOV handing a supercharged mustang it's @$$. It's that video that got me obcessed with turbo's. I've watched that video countless times and have yet to tire of the sweet symphony of boost coming from that Supra, so I doubt I'll tire of it any time soon in my own car.

Drivability wise, the car runs perfectly...wwaayyyy better than it did last year (though, I did just install an MSD DIS-2 as well ;-) ). No studdering, stumbling, or anything after shifts, while idling, or while accelerating. If I rev the engine up in neutral I can make the BOV vent, and still not have any idling issues.

The fit is tight. I had to remove the bracket bolted to the throttle body (the bracket that used to hold on the plastic sheild that covered the intake manifold), and it rubs on the hood a bit, but it completely clears the throttle and cruise cables, so no worries for me.

I'll try to get some pics up shortly.
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

congrats!

whenever i hear my friends HKS i'm a little envious. It's much louder and higher pitched then my Blitz.

i had to remove the same bracket... to fit the intercooler, didn't even think about it getting in the way of the BOV.
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera