Suspension interchangability?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lilevo
In Neutral

Suspension interchangability?

Post by lilevo »

I have access to a 90-91 AWD Wagon. Will the springs/struts work in my 92 AWD Sedan?

Thanks!
Jason
90 Mirage AWD "LIL EVO"
93 Lexus LS400 "WNTR BDR"
92 Legacy AWD Sedan
96 Kawasaki 900zxi PWC
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I wouldn't do it. Used suspension pieces aren't great. New stuff can be had cheap enough, and it's worth it.
SUBARUEHS Racing
lilevo
In Neutral

Post by lilevo »

Well, do they interchange or not?

Online parts list 90-91 as different part numbers than 92-94s, but they look identical.

I can get these struts and springs for $25 each.

The previous owner tapped an offramp barrier and the left rear wheel sits at 3 degrees of positive camber. Nothing is visibly bent in any of the subframe arms so I'm thinking it's the strut based on the design of the suspension.

Lastly, I picked up the car for $200 and it's my third car. Cheap is the key idea.
94turbosubi
In Neutral

Post by 94turbosubi »

i have a 94 legacy and had the same problem and the subframe looked ok but then i took it out and it was wacked so i would recommend replaceing it. along with the strut. and another thing when you replace 1 i would replace both sides so one side doesnt sit higher than the other.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If you change the struts as a unit (Strut, springs, seats and tops) then yes, they will bolt in. You cannot change just 'parts' without doing the research.

Basically the stickies will tell you that '92+ had different spring seat heights.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Also, the rear springs from a 92-94 aren't tapered and the rear springs from 90-91 are tapered so if you mix and match parts you'll need the top hats that fit the springs you're using.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

As Phyrra said, if you change the complete strut assembly over, yes, they will bolt in.

If you're swapping springs and so on, then yeah, some stuff won't swap over.

Check the sticky at the top of the forum. There are many threads in there that have all this information.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok