22t swap problem

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

spinmastert
In Neutral

22t swap problem

Post by spinmastert »

I've searched moderately, but can't find anything specific ...

Finally got the 22t running in my 97 Impreza, but it runs REALLY rough, and won't shift out of 2nd, unless I put it into '1' position. Although I wasn't sure whether to ground the 'trans id.' pin, after I did that, it does idle much better, but still does not shift out of second. I stuck with the 97 imp harness, with the leggy turbo ECU, and the ECU ends spliced into the imp. harness ... but we never changed anything on the tranny plugs. Is all the wiring the same between the 94 Legacy turbo 4eat and the 97 Imp. 4eat or are there some wires that need to be changed? Is there a simple solution to this? It ran almost perfectly before coming out of the legacy, and now that it's running .. it's not doing so well. I didn't get to hook up an entire exhaust yet, as what I had put together came about 4" too short ..

so that's next, but could that be the problem of rough idle?

But why won't it shift out of 2nd?

Thanks in advance .. it's been a month long project, and I'd like for it to be done sooon! :oops:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Can you provide a little more details on what wiring you have done. I've got wiring diagrams for the 97 impreza as well as the legacy, so I could do some looking. I have the 97 books scanned if you want them....and don't have them.

I'd need to look at the TCU I/O's for the two cars....did you swap the 4eat's as well? Or did you leave the 97 4eat in?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
spinmastert
In Neutral

swap

Post by spinmastert »

Well, basically I took the impreza harness so other stuff would plug in, and spliced the legacy connectors onto the ECU wires (I'm using Turbo ECU). However I found a couple wires which I think are the problem but I can't find where they go. One is for "MAF Signal for AT" pin 47 on the impreza harness, and the other goes to the TCU, but I can't figure out what I do with them on Leggy ECU...

[/code]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well...you could tap into the ECU's MAF signal wire for that "MAF signal for AT", but I'm not sure that will help since the MAF sensors are different, and have a different curve. But you could try it.

What do you mean....the other goes to the TCU......what other goes to the TCU?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

spinmastert
In Neutral

Post by spinmastert »

The other wire .. I have a cluster of like 8 or so wires from the Imp. harness that I didn't think went to anything (OBDII stuff), such as rear o2 sensor and some other things. I traced them all back to find out where they went on the Impreza, and MAF signal for AT wire went into the ECU, and there's another wire that goes from the TCU to the ECU, but I'm not sure what it's for, just where it went to on the Imp.

I took a quick glance at my diagrams and found that there are several wires that either go from the ECU to the TCU, or splice off and go to the TCU .. so I'm going to double check to make sure those are hooked up.

Throttle Position Sensor Signal wire splices to the TCU
The Torque Control Signal wire goes to the TCU from the ECU
The Mass Air Flow Signal for AT wire goes from ECU to TCU
and there's also a AT diagnosis input signal wire that goes to the TCU from the ECU

I didn't mess with either of the tranny plugs, could the pinouts be different from the 94 Leg AT to the 97 Imp AT?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The TCU needs a TPS sensor input....just tap into the lead going to the ECU.

The first gen ECU's do not have a torque control signal wire

Again, just tap into the MAF sensor wiring going to the ECU and bring it to the TCU.

There's no diaganosis input signal wire that goes to the TCU from the ECU on the OBD1 cars......so leave that undone.

As for the connectors being different. They are probably alright. If they just plugged in, then they're probably fine. I know the one connector changed when the 4eat changed phases.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

spinmastert
In Neutral

Post by spinmastert »

Yeah, we just tapped in for those two, and left the other two undone ... My shifting is kind of off though, and I can't figure it out. My redline is at like, 6k ... but when I floor it with boost, it shifts on it's own at say 4200rpm. If I put it to the 1 position, or the 2 position, it will stay until I shift it manually, but otherwise no. I think I read something about boost leak causing this? Maybe?

It also seems like it doesn't really want to go into 4th, while I'm coasting about 60, if I just barely depress the throttle, revs jump from say 1k to about 3k. Could this just be the difference in power, and I just need to get used to it?

Is not having those two wires hooked up going to mess up my shifting? Esp. the torque control?

Is there a small enough difference between the trannys that I could switch to the leggy tcu and see better results?

Thanks for all the answers, I know I'm asking a lot .. I just don't want to break something because something else is off ...
spinmastert
In Neutral

Post by spinmastert »

Well .. I checked the tranny fluid which managed to somehow be low even though we made sure it wasn't. Shifting is a lot smoother now except for two things:

Won't shift to next gear until about 4k

I can be driving around in first, and unless I stomp it to get to 4k, it stays in first, same with second, third ... so basically I'm always driving around in 3rd while in town.

Won't go to redline, wil shift at about 4.2k when at WOT

If I floor it, it'll re up like it's supposed to, then it just shifts at 4.2k. It will go to redline if I manually select the gear, but then I run the chance of over-revving ...

Any ideas?
spinmastert
In Neutral

Post by spinmastert »

So .. I've been driving the swap for a few months or so now ...

I have this binding problem it feels like in the rear. I turn the wheel, and the car stops unless I give it hell, and sometimes the tires even squeak while turning a corner. I was driving it in FWD mode as instructed by a subie dealer friend of mine,and that got rid of the binding. but now there is no FWD mode and even with a fuse in, it stays in AWD.

I've researched torque bind, and up until the point where the FWD is gone, it sounded like that was the problem. The parts guy friend of mine thinks that it's wiring, that it's something we did while doing the swap. What are the chances of it being wiring, and what would I need to look at for the cause? anyone?

I'm about to take my car to the dealer to get things fixed, should I have them take a peek or not? I don't want them to not find anything, but if its not the wiring, I want to get it taken care of before something breaks.

Thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You have an issue either with wiring, or with the duty c solenoid.

I would try wiring 12v directly to the transmission duty c solenoid wiring harness. That should tell you whether your problem is with the swap wiring, or with the harness in the trans, or with the solenoid.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

spinmastert
In Neutral

Post by spinmastert »